How these hotel brands you’ve never heard of are going to change your mind about luxury travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve shied away from Accor’s luxury properties in the past because you felt the Sofitels and Fairmonts of the world were too old-school for you, it’s time to revisit the chain’s portfolio.
While Accor is known for its “classic” brands, such as Raffles, Swissôtel, Mövenpick and Grand Mercure, it’s been busy forging interesting partnerships with trendy brands such as Faena and Delano. And those couplings are helping Accor redefine what luxury means in the first place.
New and renovated hotels and resorts are coming online that continue to focus on personalized service, but do it in a more relaxed and approachable manner. You might say it’s the age of hip and accessible luxury.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Accor’s purchase of SBE heralds an emphasis on hip hotels
Take Accor’s progress with its Delano brand. It was birthed in trendy Miami before expanding to Las Vegas. So, what’s the next “it” city for Delano? Paris.
Accor is renovating an 18th-century mansion in the 8th Arrondissement that will open in 2022 as the Maison Delano. Well-positioned near the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, the hotel will have 56 rooms and suites plus a chef Dani Garcia-helmed restaurant that’s part of the property’s courtyard.
The chain plans to open additional Maison Delano outposts in cities around the globe, and it’s not limiting its footprint to urban areas. However, when Delanos open in the countryside, such as mountain lodges or beach resorts, “Maison” will drop from their names.
What’s important to note here is that Delano is under the SBE umbrella, which describes itself as a “lifestyle hospitality company that develops, manages and operates award-winning hotels” — and Accor took full ownership of SBE hotels in November.
Sam Nazarian, the founder of SBE, had a clear vision for the future of contemporary luxury. Hotels under his purview shared several things in common: a focus on engaging design, incredible cuisine and access to buzzy nightlife. He brought those attributes to the Delano, SLS, Mondrian and Hyde hotel brands.
Accor will now take up that mantle and continue moving in the direction of more accessible luxury experiences focused on fine dining and out-of-the-ordinary entertainment.
Expanding the Delano brand isn’t the only thing on Accor’s mind. Through its SBE group, it also just opened the SLS Cancun. The 45-room boutique property that opened on Wednesday, Feb. 10, offers a stunning stretch of beachfront, a beach club, marina and an 18-hole golf course designed by Tom Weiskopf.
Last last year, Accor also struck a deal with the hospitality developer Ennismore, which is responsible for The Hoxton and Gleneagles luxury properties, among other brands.
Buzzy nightlife is the key to a younger demographic
Accor is betting that the future of luxury hotels lies in developing full-blown entertainment complexes centered around a boutique property. That’s why it’s partnered with Faena.
Chat with your most plugged-in friend, and he or she has probably stayed at Faena Hotel Miami Beach, Casa Faena (also in Miami, reopening Oct. 1, 2021) or Faena Hotel Buenos Aires.
Last month, Accor and Faena announced a partnership focused on creating “Faena Districts” that go beyond hotels and provide everything you need when discovering a new destination: an incredible place to stay, top-notching dining, spa facilities, cultural events and more.
Founder Alan Faena hit upon a recipe for success with beautifully designed hotels in breathtaking settings that are made even more special with amenities like vast spa centers, restaurants helmed by James Beard Award-winning chefs, art exhibitions and experiences, cabaret-style theaters and live music in the lounges. A stay at a Faena property is about more than just a place to rest your head at night: It’s the conduit to the area’s culture and community.
Dubai is earmarked for the first Accor-involved Faena District and it will evolve organically depending on what elements are deemed paramount to the neighborhood’s success.
Featured image of Faena Veranda by Todd Eberle/Faena/Accor
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees