Abu Dhabi drops quarantine requirement for fully vaccinated travelers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fully vaccinated travelers can add one more destination to their list of possible travel options — Abu Dhabi.
From Sunday 5 September, the capital of the United Arab Emirates will no longer require guests from overseas to quarantine upon arrival, provided they are fully vaccinated. Those visitors will simply have to show proof of vaccination as well as a negative PCR test (taken 48 hours before departure) when they arrive. Unvaccinated travelers from countries on Abu Dhabi’s green list (which does not currently include the United States) can also skip quarantine but must take a PCR test when they arrive and again on Day 6.
However, travelers who are not vaccinated against COVID-19 and have arrived in Abu Dhabi from non-green list destinations must still quarantine for 10 days, and take a PCR test on Day 9.
For more travel news sent straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
Vaccinated citizens, residents and visitors arriving from green list destinations must take a PCR test when they arrive without having to self-isolate. They will need another test on day 6, if they are staying in the emirate. Guests coming from other destinations will have to take a PCR test on arrival without the need to quarantine, and then be tested again on days 4 and 8, if they are staying in the emirate of Abu Dhabi.
The Abu Dhabi Emergency, Crisis and Disasters Committee approved the change in protocols. The lifting of the quarantine mandate removes a major obstacle for anyone considering a trip to the UAE. It’s especially helpful for anyone planning to visit the popular city of Dubai, which is less than 80 miles away. For some travelers who struggle to find affordable fares or good points options for flights to Dubai, heading to Abu Dhabi and then taking a taxi is a useful alternative.
Featured image by dani3315 for Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees