Now live: American Airlines promo gives redeeming credits a new lifeline
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with additional information.
If you have an unused credit with American Airlines, you might want to check out this limited-time promotion.
Historically, when you voluntarily cancel a flight, you’re issued a “Flight Credit” for the value of your unused trip. When it came time to rebook your travel, you could only use it for the originally ticketed passenger.
Say you booked a flight for your parents, but they decided to call off the trip. Previously, you couldn’t use your parents’ ticket for yourself or anyone else.
But, that’s changing.
For a limited time, American is offering a promotion that allows travelers to use their existing “Flight Credits” for others. The promo launched on Tuesday, Oct. 5, and runs through Jan. 31, 2022.
You’ll need to call AA’s reservation desk (800-433-7300) to use a credit for someone else.
The two major caveats to participating in this promotion are that both you and the traveler that you’re booking for must be members of AA’s AAdvantage loyalty program. If you aren’t yet a member, you can enroll online or while on the phone during the booking process.
Additionally, this is a “one-time” offer — you can’t gift someone your credit and then decide to give it to somebody else.
All existing “Flight Credits” qualify for this promotion, including those booked through a travel agency or other third-party vendor. Any unused vouchers issued during the pandemic can be used for travel through March 31, 2022, but only those booked by Jan. 31, 2022, will qualify for this promotion.
Though this is a limited-time offer, there’s some more good news for those with existing credits: AA has embarked on a multi-step process for making it easier to redeem them.
The devil is in the details, but essentially American is converting existing “Flight Credit” into “Trip Credit.” Though it’s only a one-word difference on paper, the implications of this change are much more far-reaching — in a positive way.
“Trip Credits” are always transferrable — you don’t need to rely on a limited-time promo to use your voucher for someone else. Better yet, you can combine up to eight “Trip Credits” together towards the purchase of a new reservation.
There are several other notable reasons why “Trip Credits” are far more flexible than “Flight Credits.” For one, they can be used to purchase Oneworld and other airline partner itineraries through AA’s reservation team. You can also add multiple passengers onto a single reservation, which could help you share elite benefits, like upgrades, priority boarding and complimentary seat assignments, with your travel companions.
American is converting “Flight Credits” into “Trip Credits” in tranches — right now, only credits that belong to AAdvantage members and were booked on a single-passenger itinerary have been converted.
According to the airline, more conversions are coming in the months ahead, but in the meantime, there’ll soon be a limited-time promo that makes all existing credits more flexible than ever.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees