American Airlines Expands VIP Service Offerings to Competitor Hubs, Music Destinations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last-minute business travelers and first-class flyers are by far the most profitable passengers in the plane, so many airlines focus on attracting and serving these high-value customers. American Airlines’ efforts include utilizing the company’s ultra-premium Airbus A321T aircraft type on premium markets, adding one-off flights to music and film festivals and adding healthier food options after getting feedback from the entertainment industry.
For passengers who find first/business class doesn’t provide enough perks, however, AA offers a VIP experience called Five Star Service. This paid service offers passengers perks like priority check-in — including access to Flagship First Check-In, where available — expedited security screening, access to the Admirals Club, an escort to and from the gate, priority boarding and priority re-accommodation status.
Five Star Service is only available at select airports and only passengers flying in business or first class can buy the add-on.
Early Thursday morning, American Airlines announced that it has expanded Five Star Service to four new airports. This service is available starting today at three airports with service at a fourth airport beginning next week:
- Austin, Texas (AUS) — Aug. 1
- Nashville, Tennessee (BNA) — Aug. 1
- Newark, New Jersey (EWR) — Aug. 1
- Atlanta (ATL) — Aug. 9
This expansion increases the number of airports with this premium option to 16 domestic airports and four international airports:
- Domestic: Boston (BOS), Charlotte (CLT), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), New York Kennedy (JFK), New York LaGuardia (LGA), Philadelphia (PHL), Phoenix (PHX), San Francisco (SFO), Washington Reagan National (DCA)
- International: Buenos Aires (EZE), London Heathrow (LHR), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
The cost for Five Star Service is the same at each airport: $350 for the first person and $100 for each additional adult or $50 for passengers 17 and under.
An even-more-luxurious Five Star Select is available at Chicago O’Hare, Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami and New York JFK for $650 for the first person and $150 for each additional adult and $75 per child. This enhanced service also includes access to the Flagship Lounge — including Flagship First Dining where available — and a Cadillac or cart transfer to and from the gate.
Passengers can purchase Five Star Service or Five Star Select by calling 877-578-2702 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
In its press release about the additions, AA notes it’s expanding into these markets based on “analysis of current Five Star customers and their travel patterns.”
Interestingly, these markets fall into two clear groups: competitor hubs (Atlanta-Delta and Newark-United) and music destinations. While all four are relatively small markets for American Airlines, each of these markets are enough of a focus for American Airlines that the airline currently operates an Admirals Club.
This expansion of AA’s Five Star Service comes six months after AA announced a partnership with BLADE and The Private Suite LAX. The partnership with BLADE offers all American Airlines passengers the option to pay $350 to be met by an AA representative at the BLADE helipad and be driven to the terminal via Cadillac. This transfer service is available at BLADE locations in Los Angeles (LAX) or New York’s Kennedy (JFK).
The partnership with The Private Suite LAX gives passengers the option of bypassing the public airport terminal completely. For $1,200, up to two passengers traveling together in first or business class can complete check-in and clear security at the private terminal before transferring via Cadillac to the terminal, lounge or directly to their gate.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees