A Replica of the Titanic Will Make Its Maiden Voyage in 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Never let go, Jack: A replica of the Titanic is going to make its maiden voyage in 2022.
The Titanic II will set sail from Dubai on a two-week maiden voyage and will ultimately make regular trips between Southhampton and New York during the summer and world cruises during the rest of the year.
The $500 million project was initially announced in 2012 by Blue Star Line — not to be confused with the original ship’s shipping company, White Star Line. The original plan was to launch the ship from China in 2016 and cruise from Dubai in 2018, but was suspended due to financial restraints. Ironically enough, this timing delay means the ship is now on track to set sail exactly 110 years after the original RMS Titanic did.
According to Australian billionaire Clive Palmer, Chairman of Blue Star Line, they are planning on creating “an authentic Titanic experience, providing passengers with a ship that has the same interiors and cabin layout as the original vessel, while integrating modern safety procedures, navigation methods and 21st century technology to produce the highest level of luxurious comfort.” It will also be diesel-powered rather than coal-fired, but you can still keep an eye out for those four iconic smoke stacks.
Passengers will also be able to eat from the same menu while sitting in dining rooms that look eerily like the original ship’s. Other amenities include a pool, gyms, and even a Turkish bath. There will be nine decks that will accommodate 2,400 passengers and 900 crew members — and yes, there will be first, second and third class.
Now I don’t know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all of this.
Featured image courtesy of Blue Star Line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees