A Replica of the Titanic Will Make Its Maiden Voyage in 2022
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Never let go, Jack: A replica of the Titanic is going to make its maiden voyage in 2022.
The Titanic II will set sail from Dubai on a two-week maiden voyage and will ultimately make regular trips between Southhampton and New York during the summer and world cruises during the rest of the year.
The $500 million project was initially announced in 2012 by Blue Star Line — not to be confused with the original ship’s shipping company, White Star Line. The original plan was to launch the ship from China in 2016 and cruise from Dubai in 2018, but was suspended due to financial restraints. Ironically enough, this timing delay means the ship is now on track to set sail exactly 110 years after the original RMS Titanic did.
According to Australian billionaire Clive Palmer, Chairman of Blue Star Line, they are planning on creating “an authentic Titanic experience, providing passengers with a ship that has the same interiors and cabin layout as the original vessel, while integrating modern safety procedures, navigation methods and 21st century technology to produce the highest level of luxurious comfort.” It will also be diesel-powered rather than coal-fired, but you can still keep an eye out for those four iconic smoke stacks.
Passengers will also be able to eat from the same menu while sitting in dining rooms that look eerily like the original ship’s. Other amenities include a pool, gyms, and even a Turkish bath. There will be nine decks that will accommodate 2,400 passengers and 900 crew members — and yes, there will be first, second and third class.
Now I don’t know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all of this.
Featured image courtesy of Blue Star Line.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.