A Now-Closed Iconic New York Deli Is Back — And Giving Out Free Sandwiches
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Carnegie Deli — the iconic Midtown delicatessen that closed in 2016 to the disappointment of many, many cult fans — is reopening in food truck form for three days in Manhattan.
And for those three days, the famous New York eatery will be handing out food free of charge. That’s right — it’s free.
Carnegie Deli’s bubblegum pink food truck will distribute its stacked pastrami sandwiches, pickles, vintage soda and gigantic black to customers in a variety of locations throughout NYC.
Excited? Well, the free goodies are all thanks to a promotion for the Amazon Prime Video series “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” which is set in 1950s New York and features a multitude of deli scenes. The stunt will feature a fusion of old deli classics with a “Maisel” twist. “The Midge Maisel” sandwich for example, consists of rye bread, Russian dressing, Carnegie Deli pastrami, a “bit” of salami and coleslaw. The other option is “The Susie,” which is a high-stack of turkey, Russian dressing and Coleslaw on rye. Both come with a half-sour pickle, of course.
View this post on Instagram
“The Maisel” sandwich will more than MEAT your expectations???Grab a sandwich tonight from 5pm-7pm at 55 Wall Street??✨The @maiseltv x @carnegiedeli food truck is driving around NYC now through May 15?❤️? PC: @jkl_fam
A post shared by Carnegie Deli (@carnegiedeli) on
This isn’t the first time Carnegie Deli has risen from the dead to delight New Yorkers with cheap and delicious eats. Last December, in a similar promotion also tied to the Amazon Prime Video series, a Carnegie pop-up opened in Lower Manhattan for eight days, selling sandwiches for under a $1 and attracting crowds of thousands.
The Carnegie truck has been making stops since Monday, May 13, however there are still two days for New York locals to track down the bright pink monster. Today, May 14, you can spot the truck from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 10 E. 37th St. and then from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. at 1886 Broadway. Tomorrow, Wednesday, May 15, the truck will be at 429 7th Ave. at 8:30 a.m. to noon and again from 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. at 911 7th Ave.
For more information on the Carnegie Deli Food truck — check out its official website, here.
Featured image by Drew Angerer/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.