This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Choice Hotels is running a summer promotion where travelers can earn up to 8,000 points for every two stays between June 12 and August 17. Plus, until September 30 travelers can redeem Choice points earned through this promotion for gift cards at a rate of 8,000 points per $50 gift card.
The promotion’s intension is for travelers to get a $50 gift card for every two stays between June 12 and August 17, but you can choose to keep the points earned through this promotion for use on future award stays.
Register for the Promotion
To get in on this promotion, you need to register at this link. Even if you don’t have plans to stay at a Choice hotel this summer, go ahead and register now in case your plans change. Registration is open to Choice Privileges members with a US or Canadian address.
Book and Stay
The terms and conditions state that stays must be booked via the Choice website, mobile app or phone booking center at qualifying rates. Corporate travelers may also book through their online booking tool or with a travel agent.
Most rates that normally earn Choice Privileges points are qualifying rates. However, “rooms booked at rates below $40 per night, complimentary rooms, rooms paid for as part of a convention or meeting or rooms booked through a travel agent or third party online retailer as part of pre-paid wholesale rates, wholesale packages or senior tours” aren’t eligible for this promotion. Plus, stays booked at a Choice vacation rental property don’t qualify.
Check-in for a qualifying stay must occur between June 12 and August 17. A stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights — and this promotion specifies that “consecutive nights at the same hotel only count as one stay, regardless of check-ins or check-outs.”
To participate in this promotion, you’ll need to ensure your earning preference is Choice Privileges points. So, if your earning preference is currently set to an airline program, you’re going to need to change this preference before stays for this promotion. There’s no cap on the number of points that can be earned during this promotion though.
After each pair of qualifying stays, you’ll be awarded a minimum of 5,000 and maximum of 8,000 bonus points. The exact number of bonus points depends “on the number of base points earned from the two separate qualifying stays,” but the terms and conditions don’t specify exactly how the bonus points are calculated.
Redeem for Gift Cards
Until September 30, 2018 the following $50 gift cards are available at a discounted redemption rate of 8,000 points.
To redeem your promotional points for one of these discounted gift cards, click here, log in to your Choice Privileges account and choose from options in the “Promotional Gift Cards” category.
Although I personally value Choice points higher due to their value in Europe and Japan, where I frequently travel, TPG’s latest valuation values 8,000 Choice points at $48. So if you don’t value Choice points highly, and you’d get value out of any of the gift cards offered, you may want to redeem any Choice points earned during this promotion for discounted gift cards.
This promotion offers value in two main ways:
- Earn a bonus of 5,000 to 8,000 Choice Privileges points for every two stays between June 12 and August 17
- Redeem Choice Privileges points earned during this promotion for gift cards at a rate of 8,000 points per $50 gift card
There’s no cap on the bonus points you can earn from stays during this promotion nor on the number of gift cards you can get by redeeming points. The main limitation is that seemingly only Choice points earned during this promotion will be redeemable for discounted gift cards. However, for those who value Choice points highly this promotion will provide opportunity to earn valuable Choice points.
Featured image courtesy of La Posada Lodge & Casitas, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member in Tucson, AZ.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards