Ride Acela from $50 each way with targeted Amtrak offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’ve had some great trips on Amtrak’s high-speed Acela line over the years. The rail provider’s flagship product runs between Washington, D.C., and Boston, with stops in key cities such as Philadelphia and New York along the way. Business class is the lowest cabin (there’s also a first-class car), so Acela also gives business travelers a perfect excuse to avoid booking coach.
Now, leisure travelers have a good excuse to book Acela, too. Amtrak just sent out a pair of 50% off coupons to Amtrak Guest Rewards© World Mastercard® customers, valid for business-class travel between Aug. 2 and Oct. 2 booked by Aug. 29. Each coupon is valid for a one-way, one-passenger trip, and travel must be booked at least three days before departure.
With the coupon applied, I was able to find business-class trips as low as $50 each way, on one of Amtrak’s shortest Acela legs, from Philadelphia to New York City. Note that the 50% discount is applied to the “value” and “flexible” categories — “saver” fares are not eligible for the discount.
You’ll get even more value on longer trips — you can ride the entire Acela line for just $65 each way, depending on the train you select.
Unfortunately, the 50% offer doesn’t apply to points bookings, although Acela redemptions aren’t as good of a deal as standard trains, since Amtrak applies a less-favorable rate. As for safety, the rail service has implemented a number of protocols during the pandemic, including:
- All travelers and employees must wear face masks on board trains and thruway buses, although masks can be removed within private rooms.
- Amtrak deep cleans and sanitizes all trains prior to service, with additional en-route cleaning to disinfect restrooms and frequently touched surfaces.
- Bookings have been limited on most trains to allow for more physical distancing in seating areas.
- All Amtrak trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
- All non-safety materials have been removed from seatback pockets.
- Sinks are available in each car’s restroom for frequent hand washing.
- To move between cars, customers can use an “automatic door open” button with their foot.
- When the train is approaching a destination, conductors will make announcements regarding where and when customers can disembark to minimize door crowding.
Amtrak first-class customers can already select seats in advance, and that same functionality will make its way to customers traveling in business-class cars beginning on Aug. 3, letting you lock in a more private seat, or one next to a travel companion, before your trip.
Featured photo by Education Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.