Ride Acela from $50 each way with targeted Amtrak offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
I’ve had some great trips on Amtrak’s high-speed Acela line over the years. The rail provider’s flagship product runs between Washington, D.C., and Boston, with stops in key cities such as Philadelphia and New York along the way. Business class is the lowest cabin (there’s also a first-class car), so Acela also gives business travelers a perfect excuse to avoid booking coach.
Now, leisure travelers have a good excuse to book Acela, too. Amtrak just sent out a pair of 50% off coupons to Amtrak Guest Rewards© World Mastercard® customers, valid for business-class travel between Aug. 2 and Oct. 2 booked by Aug. 29. Each coupon is valid for a one-way, one-passenger trip, and travel must be booked at least three days before departure.
With the coupon applied, I was able to find business-class trips as low as $50 each way, on one of Amtrak’s shortest Acela legs, from Philadelphia to New York City. Note that the 50% discount is applied to the “value” and “flexible” categories — “saver” fares are not eligible for the discount.
You’ll get even more value on longer trips — you can ride the entire Acela line for just $65 each way, depending on the train you select.
Unfortunately, the 50% offer doesn’t apply to points bookings, although Acela redemptions aren’t as good of a deal as standard trains, since Amtrak applies a less-favorable rate. As for safety, the rail service has implemented a number of protocols during the pandemic, including:
- All travelers and employees must wear face masks on board trains and thruway buses, although masks can be removed within private rooms.
- Amtrak deep cleans and sanitizes all trains prior to service, with additional en-route cleaning to disinfect restrooms and frequently touched surfaces.
- Bookings have been limited on most trains to allow for more physical distancing in seating areas.
- All Amtrak trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
- All non-safety materials have been removed from seatback pockets.
- Sinks are available in each car’s restroom for frequent hand washing.
- To move between cars, customers can use an “automatic door open” button with their foot.
- When the train is approaching a destination, conductors will make announcements regarding where and when customers can disembark to minimize door crowding.
Amtrak first-class customers can already select seats in advance, and that same functionality will make its way to customers traveling in business-class cars beginning on Aug. 3, letting you lock in a more private seat, or one next to a travel companion, before your trip.
Featured photo by Education Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.