Ride Acela from $50 each way with targeted Amtrak offer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
I’ve had some great trips on Amtrak’s high-speed Acela line over the years. The rail provider’s flagship product runs between Washington, D.C., and Boston, with stops in key cities such as Philadelphia and New York along the way. Business class is the lowest cabin (there’s also a first-class car), so Acela also gives business travelers a perfect excuse to avoid booking coach.
Now, leisure travelers have a good excuse to book Acela, too. Amtrak just sent out a pair of 50% off coupons to Amtrak Guest Rewards© World Mastercard® customers, valid for business-class travel between Aug. 2 and Oct. 2 booked by Aug. 29. Each coupon is valid for a one-way, one-passenger trip, and travel must be booked at least three days before departure.
With the coupon applied, I was able to find business-class trips as low as $50 each way, on one of Amtrak’s shortest Acela legs, from Philadelphia to New York City. Note that the 50% discount is applied to the “value” and “flexible” categories — “saver” fares are not eligible for the discount.
You’ll get even more value on longer trips — you can ride the entire Acela line for just $65 each way, depending on the train you select.
Unfortunately, the 50% offer doesn’t apply to points bookings, although Acela redemptions aren’t as good of a deal as standard trains, since Amtrak applies a less-favorable rate. As for safety, the rail service has implemented a number of protocols during the pandemic, including:
- All travelers and employees must wear face masks on board trains and thruway buses, although masks can be removed within private rooms.
- Amtrak deep cleans and sanitizes all trains prior to service, with additional en-route cleaning to disinfect restrooms and frequently touched surfaces.
- Bookings have been limited on most trains to allow for more physical distancing in seating areas.
- All Amtrak trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.
- All non-safety materials have been removed from seatback pockets.
- Sinks are available in each car’s restroom for frequent hand washing.
- To move between cars, customers can use an “automatic door open” button with their foot.
- When the train is approaching a destination, conductors will make announcements regarding where and when customers can disembark to minimize door crowding.
Amtrak first-class customers can already select seats in advance, and that same functionality will make its way to customers traveling in business-class cars beginning on Aug. 3, letting you lock in a more private seat, or one next to a travel companion, before your trip.
Featured photo by Education Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees