Amtrak is ready to restore its higher-speed Acela train service
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is restoring its higher-speed Acela service between Boston and Washington starting June 1.
The railroad announced the move Friday, citing increased demand. The Acela service is Amtrak’s flagship product in the Northeast, but it had been suspended in late March amid slumping demand related to the coronavirus pandemic.
A schedule of three weekday round-trips will commence as localities begin to lift stay-at-home orders, and more people are slowly beginning to move around the country again.
The national rail carrier also said in Friday’s announcement that it will increase Northeast Regional service to 10 round-trip trains from eight.
“We are dedicated to doing everything possible to return service safely,” Amtrak president and CEO Bill Flynn said in a statement. “We want everyone to feel comfortable as they navigate this new normal.”
Acela Review: Nice, but is it worth the cost?
As Flynn suggested, the restoration of some service on the Northeast Corridor between Boston and Washington is not exactly a return to the pre-coronavirus state of the railroad.
Amtrak will require passengers to wear face masks on trains and in stations for the foreseeable future, and is only accepting non-cash payments for the time being.
Among other measures, the railroad will also only sell 50% of available coach, business- and Acela first-class tickets on its trains in order to facilitate onboard social distancing.
Amtrak suspended the Acela in late March and scaled back service on other routes in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and related drop in demand. Even with the trips being restored in Friday’s announcement, schedules remain dramatically reduced compared to normal.
Still, across the travel industry, demand seems to be slowly rebounding.
In earnings calls with their investors this week, Spirit Airlines and JetBlue both discussed green shoots of new bookings, and the Transportation Security Administration has reported traveler screenings at U.S. airports to be on the rise in recent weeks.
Featured photo by Education Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees