Quick Points: Marriott Titanium and Ambassador Elites can claim United status in under five minutes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Although we cover loyalty programs in-depth on TPG every day, sometimes you just want a snippet of useful information that you can put into action on the fly. That’s why we recently launched the series Quick Points. Every week, we’ll highlight a new or easily forgotten tip that can help you travel more for less.
Often these are bits of information or advice that you can find elsewhere on the site, but that might have gotten buried amid flashier or more valuable perks. Today, we’re going to review how those with top-tier elite Marriott status (Titanium and Ambassador) can earn United Silver elite status — in no time.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Earning United elite status
There’s a a simple — yet extremely beneficial — benefit that comes with Marriott Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite status that’s easy to miss: United Silver elite status.
This perk is granted through Marriott’s “RewardsPlus” partnership with United. This reciprocal-benefit program grants those with United Premier Gold status (or higher) complimentary Marriott Gold Elite status, and those with Marriott Bonvoy Titanium or Ambassador Elite status can enjoy complimentary United Premier Silver status.
However, it’s easy to forget that this benefit exists. It’s not listed in the overview of Marriott’s elite benefits, and it’s just a small box on the page devoted to Titanium members.
To find out about this benefit, you’ll need to go to this United-Marriott page.
While Silver is United’s lowest tier of elite status, it can still be quite valuable. United Silver elites get free access to Economy Plus seats at check-in, upgrades on United flights, a free checked bag up to 70 pounds, priority boarding, 7 award miles for every dollar you spend on United flights and even additional award inventory.
TPG pegs the value of United Silver status at $910 assuming it’s used for at least 4,800 Premier Qualifying Points (PQP) and 12 Premier Qualifying Segments (PQS) worth of flights.
If you have Marriott Titanium Elite or Ambassador Elite status, let’s walk you through how to claim your free United Silver elites status.
First, you’ll want to browse to Marriott’s United landing page at fly-united.marriott.com and click “Join RewardsPlus”:
Next, you’ll be prompted to log into your Marriott Bonvoy account, and you probably will need to complete a two-factor authentication.
Once you’ve logged into your Marriott Bonvoy account, you’ll be prompted to provide your United MileagePlus account number to link your accounts. When you submit your United number, you should get a confirmation that your registration is complete.
The message will likely indicate that it’ll take 7-10 days for your benefits to take effect, so make sure to link your accounts before you actually need the perks. While the link won’t be instantaneous, prior data points indicate that your my United elite status may be activated the day after you link.
While only Marriott Titanium and Ambassador Elites can claim free United elite status, there’s still a way that you can get many of the benefits of United Silver status: United cobranded credit cards. Cardholders of the United Explorer Card also get a free first checked bag, priority boarding and — perhaps the most-valuable perk — additional award inventory. Plus the card comes with additional perks like up to a $100 statement credit toward Global Entry or TSA PreCheck fees, two United Club passes and 25% back on United in-flight purchases.
If you don’t have the United Explorer Card yet, it’s offering a solid sign-up bonus of 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees