Save Money and Earn Starpoints by Dining with SPG Cravings
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even putting room service aside, dining at hotels typically costs a pretty penny. However, whether it be for convenience or simply a tasty selection, people often still choose to do so. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to score great savings when dining at Starwood food and beverage outlets, and you’ll even earn Starpoints while doing so.
With SPG Cravings, you can get up to 30% off and also earn Starpoints when dining with SPG at over 1,500 restaurants and bars around the globe. The only major restrictions on the discount are that it only applies to food purchases (not beverages) and excludes breakfast.
It’s fairly easy to take advantage of this offer and you don’t even need to be staying at the hotel to do so. Here’s how:
1. Join Starwood Preferred Guest
To begin saving with SPG Cravings, you need to be a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program. If you’re already a member then you’re all set — there’s no additional registration for this program. If you’re not a member of SPG, then you should be, just as you should sign up for all the major airline and hotel loyalty programs.
2. Bon Appétit
Next, enjoy a meal at a participating restaurant or bar. Not all food and beverage outlets located at Starwood properties participate in the program, and the percentage discount varies by location and sometimes even by your SPG elite level. So you might want to review the SPG Cravings directory before going out.
3. Provide your SPG Number
When it’s time to settle the bill, you’ll need to request the SPG Cravings discount from your server and provide your Starwood Preferred Guest membership number. Even if you’re a guest at the hotel and plan to apply the charge to your room, you’ll need to request the discount while you’re in the restaurant — it can’t be applied at the front desk during check-out. While I’ve never had to in my experiences, you may need to explain the discount to your server when requesting it, given how under-the-radar this benefit is.
In addition to the savings, you’ll earn Starpoints per dollar spent at the same rate you would with paid stays — 2x for SPG Preferred and Preferred Plus members, 3x for Gold and Platinum elites and 4x for SPG 75-night and 100-night Platinums. Based on TPG’s valuation of Starpoints at 2.7 cents per point, that’s a return of another 5.4%, 8.1% and 10.8%, respectively.
While it might not be worth going out of your way to dine at an eligible Starwood restaurant or bar solely because of this offer, it’s a phenomenal deal for those who’d be doing so anyway. Plus, you can stack SPG Cravings with other dining rewards programs like Seated. Just remember to use a card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which provides bonus points for dining purchases to maximize your rewards. For instance, with the CSR, your dining purchase would earn you 3 Ultimate Rewards points per dollar (a 6.3% return based on our valuations) on top of the discount and Starpoints earned through SPG Cravings.
Featured photo of Pinea courtesy of the W Washington D.C.
SIGN-UP BONUS: 50,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.