This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Not all travel expenses can be covered by traditional credit card points or airline miles. You need to bolster your loyalty portfolio with cash back rewards or a cash equivalent currency that can cover the other types of expenses a traveling family will incur.
Enter the Discover it® Miles credit card that earns unlimited 1.5x miles on all purchases. As an added bonus, Discover will match all the miles you earn in the first year after the end of your first 12 months, meaning you’ll earn 3x miles on all purchases. These miles are worth 1 cent each and the card carries no annual fee.
The process to redeem Discover it Miles is as simple as it is to earn them. After you log in to your Discover account, you’ll see your rewards total on the right side of the dashboard.
After selecting “Ways to Redeem,” you’ll see the three options for your Discover it® Miles:
- Redeem against travel purchases
- Redeem as cash back
- Redeem toward your Amazon purchases
Because the miles are worth 1 cent no matter how you redeem them, my recommendation would be to take the cash and use it as needed. If you want to be more budget minded or have a travel goal in mind, you could redeem them against the recognized travel purchases. The cash back redemption option is straightforward, with no minimum amount required for redemption.
For travel redemptions, Discover automatically selects eligible travel charges made to your card. In a few simple clicks, you can use the miles to “erase” the cost of those purchases.
If you want to redeem your miles toward Amazon purchases (for all that necessary travel gear, clothing and accessories), you can link your Discover card directly to your Amazon account and use miles on the checkout page at the same rate of 1 cent each.
You’re not going to find a more straightforward path to earning cash back and making hassle-free redemptions than with the Discover it® Miles card. Earning 3x miles on all purchases in the first year, once your miles are matched at the end of the first year, equates to 3% cash back. That’s the best cash rewards earning rate from any credit card out there at the end of that first year. And, the Discover it Miles card offers some other valuable benefits, too. If your family isn’t considering this no annual fee card, I highly recommend you look at your upcoming travel to see where Discover it® Miles could save you money.
Featured image by jacoblund/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Set your own sign-up bonus with the Discover it Miles card. Any rewards you earn in the first year will automatically be matched at the end of the year and you'll earn an unlimited 1.5 miles on all purchases with no annual fee.
- Intro Offer: Discover will match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. That's $700 towards travel!
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases all with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates – fly any airline, stay at any hotel.
- Redeem your Miles as a statement credit towards travel purchases.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- See Rates & Fees