Guide to British Airways’ Reward Flight Saver redemptions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways Executive Club receives its fair share of criticism with regard the value it offers. Premium cabin, long-haul redemptions require a huge number of Avios, and departing from the UK can also require a huge amount of fees, taxes and surcharges.
But, there is a fantastic use of Avios — even if you only have a small balance. These are where you can redeem Avios for short-haul flights of less than 2,000 miles. The flights must be operated by British Airways for a small number of Avios and a fixed amount of fees and taxes. These awards are called Reward Flight Savers.
Here’s a video with everything you need to know about Reward Flight Savers:
Although premium economy and first class are available for Reward Flight Savers, most passengers will use these for flights that only operate an economy and Club Europe (business class) cabin.
Here’s how the Reward Flight Saver chart breaks down:
|Distance flown, per flight||Off-peak economy class||Peak economy class||Off-peak business class||Peak business class|
|0 – 650 miles||4,000 Avios||4,500 Avios||7,500 Avios||9,000 Avios|
|651 – 1,150 miles||6,500 Avios||7,500 Avios||12,750 Avios||15,000 Avios|
|1,151 – 2,000 miles||8,500 Avios||10,000 Avios||17,000 Avios||20,000 Avios|
Reward Flight Savers are also available on fifth-freedom routes operated by British Airways in the Caribbean and Comair flights in Southern Africa, though Comair flights are subject to higher fees and taxes.
Even better, the fees and taxes payable are fixed — $23 for economy class (peak or off-peak) and $33 for business.
Reward Flight Savers are priced per flight, not per journey, so if you are flying from Edinburgh to Geneva via London on British Airways, you will have to pay 2 x 4,000 or 4,500 Avios (depending on the peak or off-peak date) and 2 x the $23 in fees and taxes. In this case, it may be better value and more convenient to consider a paid ticket on another airline where there’s a direct flight for a decent price.
As well as having the Avios available in your Executive Club account, you must have also earned at least one Avios in the past twelve months prior to making your Reward Flight Saver booking in order to take advantage of the low Avios pricing and fixed fees and taxes.
For last-minute flights especially, Reward Flight Savers can be enormously valuable, as their fixed price keeps the flight cost low, assuming there is availability. I have regularly used Reward Flight Savers for < 650-mile flights booked a few days in advance where paid/revenue fares were $200+, which, based on TPG’s valuations of Avios, is a fantastic use.
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou / NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.