Save up to 50% on Mother’s Day flowers with these stackable promotions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With Mother’s Day 2021 right around the corner, it’s time to once again maximize one of the most lucrative purchase you’ll make all year: Flowers. Between shopping portal bonuses, credit card offers and discounts galore, it’s possible to save 20% on your flower purchase while earning 9 miles per $1 spent.
here are some of the best ways you can celebrate Mom at a safe social distance while earning some bonus points for a future trip to visit her.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
1-800-Flowers is the megabrand of the floral delivery industry is. Its online ordering platform offers bouquets shipped from a network of corporate and franchise-owned floral shops across the nation. You aren’t limited to blooms alone: You can also purchase gift baskets and gourmet foods or even a giant teddy bear through the site’s partners.
Shopping portal deals
1-800-Flowers offers some of the best cash back and point-earning potential this season. You’ll earn up to 30% cash back, 15 miles or 10 Chase Ultimate Rewards per dollar on every purchase.
You can also double-dip on earning potential by stacking some of these bonuses with other promotions, such as the $10 off $50 via Amex Offers.
You can stack your shopping portal rewards with other apps and card promotions. For example, Amex and Chase routinely offer bonus points or cash back at floral dealers. While Chase has not included 1-800-Flowers on its list this year, it’s worth checking as you get closer to ordering.
- Amex Offers: $10 off $50, or 15% cash back
- United MileagePlus X app: 9 miles per $1 when you purchase a gift card. You can purchase a gift card on your phone within the MileagePlus X app, then use that digital gift card toward your purchase and still earn your shopping portal bonus.
You can stack the Rakuten bonus with the Amex Offer to save 50% on Mother’s Day flowers, or you can forego the Rakuten bonus and opt for 15 miles per $1 spent through an airline shopping portal.
If your flower recipient cares about the environment, The Bouqs is a great brand. This Shark Tank success story brings the “farm to table” concept from food to flowers, eliminating middlemen whenever possible to bring eco-friendly blooms to your door as quickly as possible at the lowest ethical price point.
Shopping portal deals
At the moment, TopCashBack has the highest cash back deal at The Bouqs, offering 12% cash back. If you’re looking for airline miles, American AAdvantage is offering 6 miles per $1 spent at this retailer. And while Chase Ultimate Rewards isn’t listed here, I can confirm that I was targeted for 10
Highest earning rates
- Top Cashback: 12% cash back
- American: 6 miles per dollar spent (8.4% back by current valuations)
- Chase Ultimate Rewards: 10 points per dollar spent
- Amex Offers: In the past, Bouqs has offered $20 off of $65 or more through Amex Offers. To find out if you’re targeted, login to your Amex account, scroll down the “Offers” and browse through the deals available to you. If you do see an offer you want to take advantage of, add it to your account and then use your linked Amex card to pay for the purchase and receive the discount.
You can currently earn a whopping 20% cash back on FTD floral orders through Rakuten.com. Mileage earnings are equally generous: 30 miles per dollar through United, Delta and American Airlines shopping portals. If you’d rather earn transferrable rewards, you can opt for 10 points per dollar through the Chase Ultimate Rewards or BarclayCard RewardsBoost.
Shopping portal deals
The highest offers:
- Rakuten: 20%
- American, United, Delta: 30 miles per $1 spent
- Chase Ultimate Rewards: 10 points per $1 spent with Chase Freedom
Shop directly with local florists
The best way to support your (or your mother’s) community is by shopping directly with a local florist. You can call directly to place an order. If you prefer an online retail experience, Farmgirl Flowers can help you buy a floral arrangement that’s unique, sustainable and ethical. Better yet, you’re supporting a woman-owned small business when you purchase from this brand.
Unfortunately for the points-and-miles fanatics among us, the earning bonuses on purchases from independent businesses tend to be slim to nonexistent. In these situations, your best bet is to use a credit card that earns bonus miles or points on every dollar you spend, regardless of category.
Our current favorite cards for everyday spending include:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
- Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card
- Citi® Double Cash Card
- Chase Ink Business Unlimited Credit Card
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
The information for the Amex EveryDay Preferred card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Rules of thumb for Shopping Portals
Before you click that checkout button, take a quick skim through our guide to maximizing online shopping portals to make sure you understand all the hidden rules. If you’re a shopping portal newbie, here are some quick guidelines to keep in mind:
- You must click through the link on the portal’s site and then make a purchase from the page that pops up. Don’t navigate away and come back later; you may miss out on the bonus. Some sites also won’t offer you rewards for any items that are already in your online “shopping cart” before clicking through the affiliate link.
- Make sure your browser’s cookies are enabled for the retailer’s site. This is what allows the portal to “track” your purchases and award bonuses accordingly.
- Be sure to read the restrictions for each merchant. Many won’t count gift cards as eligible purchases for earning bonuses; others will exclude certain products.
- Don’t use any coupon codes that aren’t found on the affiliate shopping site of your choice. Most partner sites have rules against using coupons, promotional codes and other discounts that aren’t explicitly mentioned on their site.
- Remember to use a travel rewards credit card that offers the best earning rate on your purchase. Most of these merchants don’t fall into the traditional bonus categories, so you’ll probably want to stick with a card that’s good for everyday purchases.
Not into flowers?
Featured photo by Getty Images / Cavan Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees