Early 2022 Disney cruises on sale next week; prices only go up from here
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information and offers.
It’s absolutely true that cruise lines aren’t sailing in North America right now — though that could change soon (here’s the latest update on when cruise ships will resume sailing).
But, one thing to remember is that the popularity of certain ships, such as those sailed by Disney Cruise Line, paired with thousands of people rebooking voyages they had to cancel in 2020 due to coronavirus means that capacity will be tight in 2021 and 2022. If you’ve got your heart set on a specific cruise ship, destination or embarkation date, it’s wise to put down a deposit now or risk being shut out later.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
For Disney Cruise Line fans, it’s time to lock in your 2022 vacation now. Itineraries for January through May 2022 go on sale Oct. 19, 2020, for Castaway Club Platinum members and then to the general public who have never sailed on Disney beginning Oct. 22, 2020.
When booking a family cruise on Disney, it almost always makes sense to book as early as possible so you can reserve the exact stateroom you want and have access to what often ends up being the lowest cruise fares. While other cruise lines have seasonal sales and inclusions that can save you money, Disney does things differently.
Essentially, demand for Disney cruises is high and school holiday and summer vacation itineraries often sell out way ahead of embarkation. This means that the price to sail with Disney usually only goes up from the time the sailings are put on sale until they either sell out or the boat pulls out to sea, whichever comes first. If you want to see how this plays out in reality, Touring Plans has a fare tracker for Disney cruises that can show you some historical prices for various sailings.
As an example, here’s historical price data for a December 2019 four-night Western Caribbean itinerary sailing out of Galveston, for two adults and two kids (ages 3 and 8) in a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah.
The beginning price for this room type booked over 500 days before departure was a little over $3,800 all-in. Sixty-four days before the sailing, the price had only gone one direction — up around $900 higher for the exact same trip.
This up, up and away pricing scenario may change a bit when Disney launches several new boats (aka more capacity), starting with Disney Wish, DCL’s next new-build, the launch of which has been delayed by the coronavirus pandemic. But, for now, booking as early as possible is often the way to get the lowest price on a Disney cruise.
Here are some other ways to save money on a Disney cruise.
Advance booking for past guests
If you’ve taken a DCL cruise and are a member of its Castaway Club, you have advance access to reserve a 2022 cruise. Disney Vacation Club members, Adventures by Disney Insiders and Golden Oak Club members also get advance access.
When to book
- October 19, 2020: Castaway Club Platinum members and Golden Oak Club
- October 20, 2020: Platinum and Gold members
- October 21, 2020: Platinum, Gold and Silver Castaway Club members as well as Disney Vacation Club members and Adventures by Disney Insiders
- October 22, 2020: All guests (you don’t need to be a Castaway Club member)
How to book
There are three ways to reserve a 2022 Disney cruise. Castaway Club members can book online, call or use a travel agent. To reserve your cruise online, go to the Castaway Cay login page. To make reservations by phone, call (800) 388-4513. The phone line opens at 8 a.m. ET. Or, use your favorite travel agent. Just be sure to give him or her your Castaway Club member ID for the booking. It can make lots of sense to book via a travel agent to get special booking incentives or, if booking via Costco Travel, hundreds of dollars on a Costco Shop Card.
Golden Oak Club members should call Golden Oak Club member services.
Disney Vacation Club Members can reserve with points by calling Member Services at (800) 800-9800. To make a cash-only booking, use a travel agent or call Disney Cruise Line at (866) 325-6348.
Adventures by Disney Insiders can use a travel agent to book or call (800) 388-4513.
Disney 2022 itineraries
So, where can Disney Cruise Line take you in the first half of 2022? Here are the major embarkation ports and routes to choose from:
Disney returns to Hawaii
There are two very special Disney Wonder 10-night itineraries that take the ship back to Hawaii. It’s a perfect mix of five sea days that give you plenty of time to experience all the ship has to offer along with port calls to Honolulu, Oahu; Kahului, Maui; and Nawiliwili, Kauai. Travel from Vancouver to Honolulu or vice versa on April 26 and May 6, respectively.
Head to the Bahamas or Caribbean from Florida, Galveston or New Orleans
Here are the itineraries to expect from Disney Magic, Disney Fantasy and Disney Dream:
- From Galveston: four-night Western Caribbean itineraries and six-night Bahamas cruises aboard Disney Wonder
- From Miami: three-, four- and five-night Bahamian and Western Caribbean cruises aboard Disney Magic
- From New Orleans: four- and six-night Western Caribbean itineraries as well as 6-night Bahamian cruises on Disney Wonder
- From Port Canaveral: three- and four-night Bahamian cruises on Disney Dream and six- and seven-night Eastern and Western Caribbean voyages aboard Disney Fantasy
- From Port Canaveral: Disney Dream to sail three- and four-night Bahamas cruises
Tip: Disney Dream’s March 7 four-night round-trip itinerary from Port Canaveral includes two port days at Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay.
Baja and Mexican Riviera
Which credit card is best for a Disney cruise?
TPG’s got lots of advice about the best credit card for booking cruises. For earning points for cruise spend, these are all solid options:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®: 3x Ultimate Rewards points on travel and dining
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card: 2x Ultimate Rewards points on travel (and dining)
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: 2x Venture Rewards miles, which can be used to redeem for recent purchases coded as travel on your statement
You can also use your Citi ThankYou points to book a Disney Cruise Line voyage by calling 1-800-842-6596, say you’re redeeming ThankYou points at the first prompt, then select the travel rewards option, followed by the fourth presented option — cruises and tours.
Now is the time to book your Disney cruise for the first half of 2022 if you want the lowest price possible. As usual, you can choose to just put down the deposit to lock in the lowest prices for now and work on the balance at a later date. (If you book directly with Disney, you can use discounted Disney gift cards to pay off the balance.)
Let us know what itinerary you pick!
For more Disney Cruise Line advice, go here:
- Dreaming on the Seas: A review of Disney Cruise Line’s Dream
- Interesting way to save money on a Disney Cruise
- Cruise line showdown: Comparing Carnival, Disney and Royal Caribbean for families
- A beginner’s guide to cruise line loyalty programs
Featured image courtesy of Disney Cruise Line
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.