Score rare welcome bonuses on Amex’s no-annual-fee business cards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
These days, it seems like every card on the block has a new offer to entice applicants. While we’ve seen bonuses in the 100,000-point range (or greater), those cards tend to come with hefty annual fees that may be a major detractor if you’re looking for one for the long haul.
If you’re a small-business owner or even have a side hustle such as driving for Uber or walking dogs, paying an annual fee is likely out of the question when you’re trying to save on costs. Fortunately, these brand-new welcome offers from American Express are on two of its business-oriented, no-annual-fee cards: The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (see rates and fees) and the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card (see rates and fees).
Historically, these cards offered low or even no welcome bonuses — so this is quite a good deal if you’ve been thinking about applying for either card.
Both cards have similar earning rates, so you’ll have to decide if you want to earn Membership Rewards points for travel (and a wide array of other redemption options) or cash back. In this post, we’ll go over these cards’ elevated welcome bonuses and evaluate what they’re worth.
Amex Business Plus available with 15,000 bonus points
Welcome offer: Earn 15,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 in eligible purchases in the first three months of card membership. That’s worth $300, according to TPG’s latest valuations.
Annual fee: $0 (see rates and fees).
Earning rate: Earn 2 points per dollar on the first $50,000 spent on purchases each calendar year and 1 point per dollar on purchases afterward.
Amex Blue Business Cash available with a $250 statement credit
Welcome offer: Earn $250 cash back via statement credit after spending $3,000 in purchases in the first three months of card membership.
Annual fee: $0 (see rates and fees).
Earning rate: Earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%.
Amex Blue Business Plus vs. Amex Blue Business Cash
Both cards have a 2% rewards rate on the first $50,000 of purchases each calendar year. So, if you can’t decide which product is better for you, the first step is to evaluate your personal and business needs.
The Amex Blue Business Plus earns points through the Membership Rewards program. This means you have the potential to stretch out the value of your welcome bonus (and any points you earn thereafter), as you can select from a library of redemption options. You’ll get the most value from your points by transferring them to Amex’s 20-plus airline and hotel loyalty partners, although that may require much more effort than redeeming for pure cash-back rewards.
If you’re a cardholder of another Membership Rewards-earning card — such as The Platinum Card® from American Express or the American Express® Gold Card — you can pool any points you earn from your new Blue Business Plus. This is quite alluring if you’ve been eyeing that business-class award ticket and need to top off your balance of Membership Rewards points with this new welcome offer.
Related: Best Amex cards of 2021
On the other hand, the Amex Blue Business Cash is meant for those who are looking for simplicity. You’ll earn cash back which is automatically credited to your account as a statement credit, helping you reduce your overall operational costs. The only downside is that the Blue Business Plus’ offer is worth about $50 more according to TPG’s valuations, but this isn’t too drastic of a difference if you’d rather just earn cash-back rewards.
What other benefits and perks are there?
You can’t go wrong with either card under your belt, thanks to Amex’s complimentary travel and shopping protections. On both cards, you’ll enjoy the following:
- Secondary car rental loss and damage insurance.
- Global Assist Hotline.
- Extended warranty protection.
- Purchase protection.
Both cards come with expense management tools and free employee cards upon request.
Both of these cards come with an excellent 2% rewards rate on the first $50,000 spent each calendar year. For small businesses that spend well under this threshold annually, either of these cards is an excellent option to maximize all of your purchases without keeping up with confusing and nominal bonus categories.
Both of these welcome bonuses are an additional incentive to apply. These cards typically don’t have welcome offers, so why not apply when you can get an extra few hundred bucks of value?
Featured photo by John Gribben for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees