This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We haven’t seen quite as many great airfare deals to Europe recently as we did late last year, but that doesn’t mean you can’t grab a low price at the right time. And if Amsterdam (AMS) is on your bucket list, now might be the perfect time to book a trip. Right now we’re seeing solid prices on full-service carriers — including American, Delta, United, KLM and British Airways — starting as low as $411 round-trip from cities such as New York/Newark (EWR), Boston (BOS), Washington, DC (IAD), San Francisco (SFO) and Los Angeles (LAX).
You’ll find most travel dates between September and December, and you don’t need any tricks to get these deals. Just search for the dates you want with Google Flights, then book on Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline itself. The itineraries from the East Coast are generally normal fares, so you’ll get your first checked bag free and the usual perks of a regular economy fare. However, the West Coast options are mostly in Basic Economy, so make sure you’re aware of the restrictions that come with those fares when traveling internationally.
Airlines: American, United, Delta, KLM, British Airways
Routes: EWR/BOS/IAD/SFO/LAX to AMS
Cost: $411+ round-trip in economy
Dates: September through December 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or with the airline itself
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York/Newark (EWR) to Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) nonstop on United for $411 round-trip via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Amsterdam (AMS) nonstop on Delta for $439 round-trip via Orbitz (book with KLM tickets to avoid Basic Economy restrictions):
Los Angeles (LAX) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $490 round-trip in AA Basic Economy:
San Francisco (SFO) to Amsterdam (AMS) for $493 round-trip in British Airways Basic Economy:
Washington, DC (IAD) to Amsterdam (AMS) nonstop on KLM for $576 round-trip via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Javier Melgar via Unsplash.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees