Book now: Saver business class award space on several of United’s new London flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier today, United unveiled a handful of new flights to London. The expansion added new frequencies to London-Heathrow (LHR) from key United hubs like Denver (DEN), Newark (EWR) and San Francisco (SFO). Further, the Chicago-based airline will resume daily flights to London from Los Angeles (LAX) and start previously announced flights from Boston (BOS).
Some of these new flights are chock-full of open business class award space that’s bookable with United MileagePlus and partner miles, presenting a great way to book an early 2022 trip to Europe. Specifically, flights from Boston have plentiful award space starting in March. We’ve also had some look snagging some out of Newark. You’ll find more limited award space on other routes.
Let’s take a closer look at what flights have award space and how to book it with your airline miles or transferable points.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: United Airlines
Routes: Most award space on BOS-LHR, limited space on EWR-LHR and others
Cost: 120,000 United MileagePlus miles roundtrip and $335.57 in taxes and fees; various pricing with Star Alliance partners like ANA Mileage Club, Air Canada Aeroplan and Avianca LifeMiles. One-way overnight flights from the U.S. to LHR will price at 60,000 miles and $5.60.
Dates: March to May 2022
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel ), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
Open business class award space to London
We’re currently finding award space on most of United’s new London flights from Boston, starting in March 2022 and continuing through the spring.
That said, some of this pricing isn’t initially displaying on United’s search tool. United typically charges 60,000 miles one-way for saver business class flights from the U.S. to Europe, but the United search engine is showing moderately higher pricing on some routes. Don’t fret — this is an error on many flights.
Saver award pricing should show once you select an individual flight fand start the booking process. This may not be the case on all dates, but there’s plenty of business class award space out there on some of these routes.
We’re also able to find this saver award space on partner websites, like Air Canada.
While most of the award space we found was from Boston, you’ll also find some award space on other United flights to London. Alternatively, you may be able to book connecting flights from your home airport to London via Boston at the saver rates. Run your own searches and see if there’s open award space on the flights you’d like to book.
How to book
You can book these flights online — just log into the Star Alliance loyalty program you’d like to use to book and run a search.
Then, follow the on-screen prompt when you find a flight you’d like to book. If you’re transferring points, make sure to find award space first before you transfer so you’re not stuck with airline miles you can’t use.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Premier Card (3x on air travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
This won’t matter much if you are only booking the flight there but when booking a round-trip the taxes and fees add up. Also remember, if you are booking these flights with United miles, you can change or cancel your award flight 31 or more days before departure for no fee and even change an award flight originating in the U.S. for free less than 30 days from departure. Essentially, this means you can book now and change your mind later.
Feature photo by S-F/Shutterstock.com
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees