Deal alert: Up to 45% off United awards to Tahiti, round-trips from 38.5k miles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – United Explorer Business Card
While Delta issues SkyMiles Deals weekly and American Airlines has its ongoing Economy Web Specials, United doesn’t release award sales very often. But when it does, it makes up for the lack of quantity with some quality deals.
In the past, we’ve seen 40% off deals to ski and sun destinations and 50% off deals to Europe. And now United has released just as impressive of a flash sale: up to 45% off flights to Tahiti for Premier members, with a 35% discount for general members.
If you’ve been looking for an excuse to head to this island hideaway, now’s your chance! Even better, these are full economy fares, which means choice of seat and bags are included. Eat your way through your choice of famed food trucks or snag a ferry to luscious Moorea to visit the fabulous Intercontinental Resort and Spa located along the beachfront. Or, if you’d rather listen than read, check out TPG’s first-ever Miles Away podcast which featured all things French Polynesia.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Here’s a quick run down of this deal:
Routes: U.S./Canada to Papeete, Tahiti (PPT)
Cost: 38,500+ miles plus taxes and fees
Travel Dates: Jan. 14 to March 8, 2020
Pay Taxes and Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline), Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel), United Explorer Business Card (2x on United purchases), or United Explorer Card (2x on United purchases)
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are examples of available flights:
San Francisco (SFO) to Papeete for 38,500 miles round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Papeete for 41,000 miles round-trip:
Newark (EWR) to Papeete for 38,500 miles round-trip:
Before booking, check the cash fares for the flight to make sure you’re getting a good deal. United is facing quite a bit of competition from San Francisco to Papeete. You can currently book nonstop United cash fares for as little as $629 round-trip.
Hotels and tips for French Polynesia
If you’re wondering where to stay when in French Polynesia, TPG’s got you covered with numerous hotel reviews:
- InterContinental Tahiti Resort and Spa
- Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
- Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa
- InterContinental Resort and Spa Moorea
Featured photo courtesy of the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort and Thalasso Spa.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees