Deal alert: Fly business class to Spain for as little as 49,000 points round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve seen a record number of transfer bonuses go live recently, with a total of 17 opportunities that are available at the time of writing. Both American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards are currently offering bonuses for Iberia Plus, which is one of our favorite ways to fly business across the pond for just 34,000 points one-way during off-peak dates.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
With Amex offering a 40% transfer bonus (and Chase offering 30%), this means you could book a round-trip business class flight on Iberia for as few as 49,000 Membership Rewards points or 53,000 Ultimate Rewards points. Taxes and fees will cost you about $220 total.
This deal was originally sent out by Thrifty Traveler Premium, and subscriptions are available for just $7.99 monthly or $49.99 annually. This membership fee can easily pay for themselves since you’ll get notified of cheap flights, award flight sales and business-class deals straight to your email.
Airline: Iberia Airlines.
Routes: BOS/JFK/MIA/ORD to Madrid (MAD).
Cost: As low as 49,000 Membership Rewards points or 53,000 Ultimate Rewards points, plus around $220 in taxes and fees.
Dates: January through May 2022.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
How to book
Let’s quickly walk you through how leveraging these limited-time transfer bonuses can get you a business class steal:
First, we recommend that you sign up for an Iberia Plus account (if you haven’t already). Then, you should double check your dates to confirm the award rates. Here’s an example of a round-trip flight I found from New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for 64,000 Avios.
As a reminder, your points transfer to Iberia Plus at a 1:1 ratio for both Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards. Note that Ultimate Rewards points transfer instantly, while Amex Membership Rewards points can take up to 48 hours.
From here, calculate how many points you’ll need thanks to the given transfer bonuses:
|Route||Amex Membership Rewards (40% bonus)||Chase Ultimate Rewards (30% bonus)|
|BOS-MAD||49,000 points round-trip||53,000 points round-trip|
|JFK-MAD||49,000 points round-trip||53,000 points round-trip|
|MIA-MAD||61,000 points round-trip||66,000 points round-trip|
|ORD-MAD||49,000 points round-trip||53,000 points round-trip|
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
Featured photo by Sven-Hansche/EyeEm for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees