Spain deal alert has round-trip fares from New York City for as low as $259
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you live in or around New York City and have been itching to visit Spain and enjoy the bountiful food, museums and architecture, this new deal is about as good as it gets. We’re talking round-trip fares that run nearly 70% less than they normally cost.
Fares are drastically discounted for travel to Barcelona and Madrid from Newark International (EWR) or Kennedy Airport (JFK) on TAP Portugal (a Star Alliance member). Sale prices can be found for travel between December 2021 and May 2022. The sale does not include holidays.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter
Thanks to the good folks at Scott’s Cheap Flights for alerting us to these great fare deals, which they sent out first to their Premium members.
You can still take advantage of the low fares even if you’re not a member. Just use Google Flights and search for your desired routes and dates. As always, flexibility is your friend. The more open you are to adjusting your travel plans, the better chance you will have to score the best prices.
Airlines: TAP Portugal.
Routes: JFK/EWR to BCN/MAD.
Cost: Starting at $259 round-trip.
Dates: December 2021-May 2022; availability varies.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can fly from New York City (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) in late April for just $259. That’s a fantastic price, even if it is for TAP’s economy tier. The cheapest fares we found don’t include checked baggage. Keep in mind that with TAP, it will be cheaper to upgrade to a fare that includes a free bag than it is to book the cheapest fare and then add a checked bag later.
A March itinerary from Newark Airport (EWR) to Madrid is only $6 more.
Now for the Barcelona fares.
A JFK-BCN itinerary in late April is currently available for more than 60% off its normal price. Again, this is for TAP’s economy tier.
We had success finding the most sub-$300 fares to Barcelona during February and April. Here’s one for $299.
If Newark is a more convenient departure point, you can find $299 fares to Barcelona from that airport, as well. The biggest discounts we saw for this route were in February.
Maximize Your Purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
Being able to visit Spain for less than $300 is too good to pass up. Clear your calendar and pack your bags.
Featured image by Sylvain Sonnet/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees