Southwest deal alert: Domestic flights starting at 2,721 points one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: As the travel industry reopens following COVID-19 shutdowns, TPG suggests that you talk to your doctor, follow health officials’ guidance and research local travel restrictions before booking that next trip. We will be here to help you prepare, whether it is next month or next year.
Air travel is gradually picking back up again and travel companies are offering some terrific deals to ramp up demand. Today, we’re seeing some especially enticing deals coming from Southwest. The airline just dropped award prices on domestic flights across the nation to as low as 2,721 points one-way.
The low fares are available for travel from now through Oct. 2020. We’ve included some sample routes out of cities like Los Angeles (LAX), Chicago (MDW), Atlanta (ATL) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL) below, but since this deal is so widespread, your best bet would be to go straight to Southwest.com and search the route of your choice to see how it’s pricing. You can also use the Low Fare Calendar to find the cheapest travel dates.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Things to know before booking
Southwest doesn’t charge any change or cancellation fees, so you can easily cancel your trip down the line if the pandemic isn’t contained by the time you’re set to depart. If you already have existing Southwest travel booked for later this year, consider checking if the price has dropped. As a part of its no-fees policy, you can request a fare adjustment whenever the cost of your flight goes down, even after you’ve already booked.
In response to the pandemic, Southwest is spending more than six hours cleaning all aircraft overnight and disinfecting high-touch areas before every flight. Other changes include requiring all employees and customers to wear face masks and shifting boarding to smaller groups. The airline is also limiting the number of passengers on each flight by at least 20% through at least July 31.
TPG values Southwest Rapid Rewards points at 1.5 cents each, so 2,721 points represent a cash equivalent of about $41. If you’re in need of Southwest points, remember that you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantly at a 1:1 ratio with a card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. If you end up paying cash for your flight, be sure to register for this promotion on Southwest’s website to earn double points through Aug. 31.
Routes: Major routes served by Southwest
Cost: 2,721+ points and $5.60 of taxes and fees one-way
Travel Dates: June – Oct. 2020
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel; starting Jan. 1, 2021 earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare immediately after earning your $300 annual travel credit), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Examples of what you can book
Los Angeles (LAX) to Denver (DEN) from 2,721 points + $5.60 one-way:
Chicago (MDW) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) from 2,721 points + $5.60 one-way:
Boston (BOS) to Chicago (MDW) from 2,721 points + $5.60 one-way:
New York (LGA) to Chicago (MDW) from 2,721 points + $5.60 one-way:
Atlanta (ATL) to Los Angeles (LAX) from 3,111 points + $5.60 one-way:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Chicago (MDW) from 3,267 points + $5.60 one-way:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees