Deal Alert: Northeast US to Spain From $358 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Several airlines are offering discounted round-trip tickets to Madrid (MAD) and Barcelona (BCN) for travel from late summer through fall 2018. The cheapest price we’re seeing is just $358 round-trip between New York (JFK) and MAD on SkyTeam partner Air Europa. Note, though that the cheapest tickets in this sale will be booked into basic economy, which means you’ll have to pay extra for checked bags, food and other amenities. Regular economy tickets are available as well for a little bit more money — though this could be worth it if you plan on checking a bag on your trip. Search for your itinerary on Google Flights and then complete booking directly with the airlines themselves.
Airline: Iberia, Air Europa, KLM
Routes: JFK/BOS to MAD/BCN
Cost: $358+ roundtrip in economy
Dates: September-November 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
New York (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for $358 round-trip in October on Air Europa in basic economy:
Boston (BOS) to Barcelona (BCN) for $361 round-trip in October on LEVEL (each leg booked separately):
Newark (EWR) to Madrid (MAD) for $452 in October on Delta/KLM in regular economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Shutterstock
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.