Mexico deal alert: Fly to Puerto Vallarta for less than $200 nonstop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Shake the winter doldrums and fly south for a few days of fun and sun in Mexico! There is a fare sale happening now with great deals for flights to Puerto Vallarta, including nonstop from several departure cities. We’re big fans of Puerto Vallarta; it’s a great destination, especially if you plan to make it a family trip. And we especially like the idea of being able to enjoy a few days of relaxation on one of those pristine beaches for a song. Some of the nonstop fares we found in this deal run as low as $183.
Please note that United fares are for Main Cabin which comes with a carry-on and an assigned seat. The other fares are Basic Economy.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter
Thanks to our friends at Thrifty Traveler for alerting us to this deal, which they first sent out to their premium subscribers. Their premium service is available for $7.99 monthly or $49.99 annually. This membership fee can easily pay for itself since you’ll get notified of cheap flights, award flight sales and business-class deals straight to your email.
Nonmembers can find sale prices by using Google Flights to search for desired routes and dates.
Airlines: Aeromexico, Alaska, American, Delta, United
Routes: AUS/DEN/EWR/JFK/LGA/PHL/SAN/SEA to Puerto Vallarta (PVR)
Cost: Flights available from $183; several nonstop routes available
Dates: Now-November 2022; availability varies by city.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
January and early February had lots of availability from the west coast to Mexico. You can fly nonstop from Los Angeles (LAX) for only $183 nonstop on Alaska Air, a big savings from normal prices. It’s a Saver fare, but you do get a carry-on at no extra cost.
A nonstop from Seattle (SEA) to Puerto Vallarta is also available at a steep discount in February and March. We found this fare on Delta (tickets sold via AeroMexico) for just $241.
If you live in Philadelphia, you can nab a downright steal on fares to Mexico. We found sub-$300 fares from January through April. One of the best was this late-April Basic Economy itinerary on American for $276. That’s almost $400 less than the normal price for that fare.
Flights out of the New York City area are also deeply discounted in February and March. You can book a ticket out of Newark Liberty Airport (EWR) to Puerto Vallarta for $388 on American. Yeah, it’s Basic Economy with a 90-minute layover each way, but this price is more than $400 less than normal. Hard to beat that kind of deal.
This last example is for those travelers in Texas looking to escape from the Lone Star State’s chilly winter weather. You can fly from Austin for under $200, a huge savings for this itinerary. It’s a Basic Economy fare on American. You can find other discounted tickets in February and March, but this price in late January was far and away the cheapest we saw.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns points on airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
Featured Image: Cristian Calderon / EyeEm for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees