Flash Sale: Save up to 40% With Amtrak’s Across America Sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Not a fan of flying, but hate the responsibility of driving long distances? Why not try traveling via train? It may not cut back much on time, but what’s better than no middle seats, taking in all of the views with no traffic, the ability to move around freely and you can browse your phone or computer all you want. Personally, if I can do all that, then I don’t mind the extra travel time.
Now’s your chance to see the US from the rails because Amtrak is having a 4-day flash sale on train rides between August 1, 2019 and January 31, 2020 with no blackout dates. Unfortunately the popular DC to NYC (and vice versa) route is not included in the sale, but nearly every other route is.
Although the discount only applies to coach fares, you’ll still get decent legroom, no middle seat and free Wi-Fi.
Below are some of the rates that Amtrak is promoting on its website. However, other routes apply:
Start your search for discounted tickets on the Amtrak website. There’s no coupon code needed to unlock the cheap fares.
Routes: All routes except the Northeast Corridor between DC and NYC
Cost: From $17 one-way
Book by: July 12, 2019
Travel Dates: August 1, 2019 through January 31, 2020
Restrictions: Prices can’t be combined with other discount codes. Upgrades to Business Class are not permitted. Space is limited as sale prices are not available on all trains or at all times. Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable. Exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period; a 25 percent cancellation fee applies. Other restrictions may also apply.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Portland, ME to Boston, MA for $17 one-way:
St. Louis, MO to Chicago, IL for $19 one-way:
Los Angeles, CA to Sacramento, CA for $44 one-way:
New York, NY to Boston, MA for $55 one-way:
Atlanta, GA to Washington, DC for $77 one-way:
Chicago, IL to San Francisco, CA for $104 one-way:
Los Angeles, CA to Denver, CO for $127 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured image by Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees