Flash Sale: Save up to 40% With Amtrak’s Across America Sale
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Not a fan of flying, but hate the responsibility of driving long distances? Why not try traveling via train? It may not cut back much on time, but what’s better than no middle seats, taking in all of the views with no traffic, the ability to move around freely and you can browse your phone or computer all you want. Personally, if I can do all that, then I don’t mind the extra travel time.
Now’s your chance to see the US from the rails because Amtrak is having a 4-day flash sale on train rides between August 1, 2019 and January 31, 2020 with no blackout dates. Unfortunately the popular DC to NYC (and vice versa) route is not included in the sale, but nearly every other route is.
Although the discount only applies to coach fares, you’ll still get decent legroom, no middle seat and free Wi-Fi.
Below are some of the rates that Amtrak is promoting on its website. However, other routes apply:
Start your search for discounted tickets on the Amtrak website. There’s no coupon code needed to unlock the cheap fares.
Routes: All routes except the Northeast Corridor between DC and NYC
Cost: From $17 one-way
Book by: July 12, 2019
Travel Dates: August 1, 2019 through January 31, 2020
Restrictions: Prices can’t be combined with other discount codes. Upgrades to Business Class are not permitted. Space is limited as sale prices are not available on all trains or at all times. Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable. Exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period; a 25 percent cancellation fee applies. Other restrictions may also apply.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Portland, ME to Boston, MA for $17 one-way:
St. Louis, MO to Chicago, IL for $19 one-way:
Los Angeles, CA to Sacramento, CA for $44 one-way:
New York, NY to Boston, MA for $55 one-way:
Atlanta, GA to Washington, DC for $77 one-way:
Chicago, IL to San Francisco, CA for $104 one-way:
Los Angeles, CA to Denver, CO for $127 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier® Card (3x on travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured image by Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.