Deal Alert: New York to Europe for 28,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even though Delta doesn’t publish an award chart and can sometimes charge sky-high rates for mileage redemptions, it does occasionally have massively discounted award flights. Conventional wisdom says award flights from the US to Europe don’t dip below 60,000 SkyMiles round-trip, however, we’re seeing nonstop flights from New York to Europe for as few as 28,000 miles.
The cheapest route is to Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH), but you’ll find discounted flights to London (LHR), Paris (CDG) and Rome (FCO), too.
Flights are available from September 2018 through June 2019, and most itineraries include a connection.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, you can transfer American Express Membership Rewards (instant transfer) or SPG Starpoints (1.5-day transfer) to Delta at a 1:1 ratio. Note that when transferring Starpoints, you’ll get a 5,000-mile bonus for every 20,000 you transfer. Once the miles are in your account, head over to the Delta website and book directly through the airline.
Remember to pay the taxes and fees with a card like the The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) to maximize your points earnings or the Citi Prestige for its excellent trip delay insurance.
Routes: JFK/LGA/EWR to ZRH/FCO/LHR/CDG
Cost: From 28,000 miles plus taxes/fees starting at $57 round-trip
Dates: September 2018 – June 2019
Booking Link: Delta
Pay Taxes and Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
New York (JFK) to Zurich (ZRH) nonstop for 28,000 SkyMiles and $57:
New York (LGA) to London (LHR) for 36,000 SkyMiles and $191:
New York (EWR/LGA) to Paris (CDG) for 40,000 SkyMiles and $90:New York (JFK)/Newark (EWR) to Rome (FCO) for 53,000 SkyMiles and $77:
H/T: TPG Reader Ariana T.
Featured image by Getty Images
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee