Act fast: Fly Delta One to Germany for just 50,000 miles next summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Although we’re still in the midst of the summer travel frenzy, it might not be too early to plan a trip to Berlin for next summer.
Throughout May and June 2023, there’s widespread business-class award space between John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) — with four or more seats available — on Delta Air Lines using Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, as first reported by Frequent Miler.
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club charges just 50,000 points one-way and $6.10 in taxes and fees for nonstop Delta business-class flights on eastbound flights between the U.S. and Europe. On westbound flights from Berlin to JFK — where availability is significantly more limited — taxes and fees clock in around 321 euros (about $325).
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
At just 50,000 Flying Club points for these awards, this is a solid deal, considering that Delta charges upwards of 225,000 SkyMiles each way.
With such an appealing redemption, it could be worth booking a positioning flight if you’re not based in the New York City area.
Routes: JFK to/from BER.
Cost: From 50,000 Virgin Atlantic points plus $6.10 taxes and fees one-way in business class.
Dates: May through July 2023.
Pay taxes/fees with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
For a step-by-step by step guide on booking Delta awards through Virgin Atlantic, see this guide.
Here’s a look at the award space next summer. All dates with the 50,000-point rate have availability on Delta.
New York to Berlin in May/June
New York to Berlin in June/July
Berlin to New York in May/June
Earning Virgin Atlantic miles
Transfers from Chase to Virgin Atlantic must be in increments of 1,000. Remember that transfers from Marriott Bonvoy to Virgin Atlantic are at a 3:1 ratio, so you’d need to transfer 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy points to give you 50,000 Flying Club miles.
Maximize your purchase
Make sure to pay award taxes and fees with a card that earns bonus points on airfare and offers travel protections. Some cards that fit the bill include The Platinum Card from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Additional reporting by Benji Stawski.
Featured photo by Karsten Houben/EyeEm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 125,000 Marriott Bonvoy Bonus Points after spending $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer expires 8/31/22.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees