Delta’s new Cape Air partnership offers cheap mileage fares on expensive routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, Delta announced a new partnership with Cape Air that gives Delta customers access to Cape Air’s 11 routes out of Boston Logan International Airport (BOS). Not only do SkyMiles members get a bigger route network, but they are now also able to earn and redeem miles on Cape Air flights.
As an added incentive, Delta is offering 500 bonus SkyMiles on all Cape Air flights flown by Aug. 31, 2021. This bonus is pretty substantial, considering some Cape Air flights can be booked for as little as 5,000 SkyMiles each way.
Cape Air mostly serves smaller airports catering to leisure travelers. The timing of the announcement is perfect, considering we’re a few weeks away from the busy summer travel season. Depending on where you’re traveling, you may get three or more cents per mile in value from redemptions on one of these routes.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Cape Air routes
Cape Air is currently operating 11 flights out of Boston:
- Augusta, Maine (AUG)
- Bar Harbor, Maine (BHB)
- Hyannis, Massachussetts (HYA)
- Lebanon, N.H. (LEB)
- Martha’s Vineyard, Mass. (MVY)
- Nantucket, Massachusetts (ACK)
- Portland, Maine (PWM)
- Provincetown, Massachusetts (PVC)
- Rockland, Maine (RKD)
- Rutland, Vt. (RUT)
- Saranac Lake, N.Y. (SLK)
Booking Cape Air flights with Delta SkyMiles
Cape Air flights can be booked for as little as 5,000 SkyMiles, even during the busy summer travel season. The key to booking these low fares is to be flexible. Use the calendar function on Delta.com for a monthly overview and if you’re able to, plan your trip around the lowest fares.
Keep in mind that Delta utilizes dynamic pricing, so redemption rates change based on demand. To give you an idea of what you can expect in terms of redemptions, let’s look at the Boston (BOS) – Martha’s Vineyard (MVY) route. A one-way ticket on this Cape Air route in early June starts $179 per person.
The same flight starts at 5,000 SkyMiles and $12 in taxes and fees. TPG values SkyMiles at 1.1 cents each. On a booking like this, you would get almost four cents in value out of each SkyMile. That just goes to show that you don’t always have to travel in premium cabins to get maximum value out of your miles.
It’s worthwhile to compare Delta’s award rates against Cape Air competitors. For example, the BOS-MVY route is also operated by JetBlue. Using the airline’s Best Fare Finder, you can see the lowest rates in June are 6,900 TrueBlue points each way. Taxes are just $5.60.
While Delta’s lowest redemption rate is less than JetBlue’s, you may want to redeem TrueBlue points on dates when Delta’s Cape Air fares skyrocket to 100,000 miles each way.
Delta’s partnership with Cape Air opens up more routes where SkyMiles members can earn and redeem miles. With fares starting at just 5,000 SkyMiles each way, Delta beats out competitors like JetBlue on some of these routes. With a very small number of airlines offering service to Cape Air destinations like Martha’s Vineyard, it’s nice to have another airline to earn and redeem miles with.
Featured image by Lucky-photographer/Shutterstock
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees