Deal Alert: US Cities to Cancun From $173 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Need a sunny getaway this fall? Look no further than Cancun, with airfares starting at just more than $170 round-trip from major US airports across the country. Note that some of the fares are in basic economy, but upgrades to regular economy start at just $3 each way. Other cheap fares are on low-cost carriers, although these routes are nonstop from available cities.
Airline: Delta, Sun Country, Spirit
Routes: JFK/LGA/LAX/DFW/IAH to CUN
Cost: $173+ round-trip on budget airlines, $209+ round-trip in basic economy on full-service carriers or $215+ round-trip in regular economy
Dates: July – November 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are some examples of what you can book:
Dallas (DFW) to Cancun (CUN) in August for $173 round-trip on Sun Country Airlines:
New York (JFK) to Cancun (CUN) in September for $209 round-trip on Delta in regular economy:
New York (JFK) to Cancun (CUN) in July for $214 round-trip on Delta in regular economy:
New York (LGA) to Cancun (CUN) in August for $224 round-trip on Delta in regular economy:
Houston (IAH) to Cancun (CUN) in July for $233 nonstop round-trip on Spirit (additional discounts for members of the $9 Fare Club):
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cancun (CUN) in August for $277 round-trip on Delta in regular economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Arthur Gonoretzky/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,000 properties. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees