Deal alert: Book nonstop flights to the Virgin Islands for as low as $213
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It may be time to plan a visit to the U.S. Virgin Islands this fall, because ticket prices are plummeting. Our pals at Thrifty Traveler have let us know about some incredible deals on trips to St. Thomas beginning this September and lasting all the way until June 2022. Some involve connecting flights depending on where you’re flying from, but there are also some major savings to be had on nonstop flights, too. United flights in this offer are main cabin as well as some American flights, which gives you free checked bags and seat assignments. Delta’s are basic economy, which can be upgraded by paying a fee.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: American, Delta, United
Cost: As low as $173 roundtrip for nonstop flights depending on the departure city.
Dates: Book for travel between September 2021 and June 2022.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Round-trip flights to St. Thomas (STT) are available from the following cities:
- Columbus (CMH), starting at $269
- Dallas (DFW), starting at $258
- Denver (DEN), starting at $211
- Houston (HOU), starting at $211
- Houston (IAH), starting at $211
- Jacksonville (JAX), starting at $298
- Miami (MIA), starting at $173
- Minneapolis (MSP), starting at $267
- New Orleans (MSY), starting at $271
- New York (JFK), starting at $223
- Newark (EWR), starting at $223
- San Francisco (SFO), starting at $211
- Seattle (SEA), starting at $232
- Tampa (TPA), starting at $271
- Washington, D.C. (DCA), starting at $211
- Washington, D.C. (IAD), starting at $211
One of the best deals we found was going nonstop from New York City (JFK) to STT in January on American for $223.
Not only is the price substantially lower than usual, but that’s the price for Main Cabin. That means you don’t have to pay $60 for your first checked bag, like you would if it was Basic Economy.
If you prefer to fly out of Newark (EWR), you can book a ticket at the same price.
Just like with the JFK deal we just mentioned, this one has the added perk of giving you the option to upgrade to Economy class (fully refundable) for just $10 more.
Maybe the best deal we saw in terms of sheer dollar savings was from Seattle (SEA) to St. Thomas, also on American.
That $232 roundtrip price is nearly $400 cheaper than what tickets normally cost for such a trip in October.
Travelers in Minneapolis can also score a good deal right now, with a United flight from MSP-STT with one-stop going for under $300.
We should note that the Minneapolis flight is also for Economy class, which is fully refundable with one free carry-on and a $70 charge for the first checked bag.
You can book Miami to St. Thomas for $173 economy roundtrip on American in October and March.
Keep in mind that you do not need a passport to travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands and it is open for and welcoming tourists. You will need to submit a negative COVID-19 test result through the USVI travel portal.
You do not need to take a test for your return flight.
Maximize your purchase
The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
Featured image by Pola Damonte for Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees