Deal alert: Book nonstop flights to the Virgin Islands for as low as $213
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It may be time to plan a visit to the U.S. Virgin Islands this fall, because ticket prices are plummeting. Our pals at Thrifty Traveler have let us know about some incredible deals on trips to St. Thomas beginning this September and lasting all the way until June 2022. Some involve connecting flights depending on where you’re flying from, but there are also some major savings to be had on nonstop flights, too. United flights in this offer are main cabin as well as some American flights, which gives you free checked bags and seat assignments. Delta’s are basic economy, which can be upgraded by paying a fee.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: American, Delta, United
Cost: As low as $173 roundtrip for nonstop flights depending on the departure city.
Dates: Book for travel between September 2021 and June 2022.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Round-trip flights to St. Thomas (STT) are available from the following cities:
- Columbus (CMH), starting at $269
- Dallas (DFW), starting at $258
- Denver (DEN), starting at $211
- Houston (HOU), starting at $211
- Houston (IAH), starting at $211
- Jacksonville (JAX), starting at $298
- Miami (MIA), starting at $173
- Minneapolis (MSP), starting at $267
- New Orleans (MSY), starting at $271
- New York (JFK), starting at $223
- Newark (EWR), starting at $223
- San Francisco (SFO), starting at $211
- Seattle (SEA), starting at $232
- Tampa (TPA), starting at $271
- Washington, D.C. (DCA), starting at $211
- Washington, D.C. (IAD), starting at $211
One of the best deals we found was going nonstop from New York City (JFK) to STT in January on American for $223.
Not only is the price substantially lower than usual, but that’s the price for Main Cabin. That means you don’t have to pay $60 for your first checked bag, like you would if it was Basic Economy.
If you prefer to fly out of Newark (EWR), you can book a ticket at the same price.
Just like with the JFK deal we just mentioned, this one has the added perk of giving you the option to upgrade to Economy class (fully refundable) for just $10 more.
Maybe the best deal we saw in terms of sheer dollar savings was from Seattle (SEA) to St. Thomas, also on American.
That $232 roundtrip price is nearly $400 cheaper than what tickets normally cost for such a trip in October.
Travelers in Minneapolis can also score a good deal right now, with a United flight from MSP-STT with one-stop going for under $300.
We should note that the Minneapolis flight is also for Economy class, which is fully refundable with one free carry-on and a $70 charge for the first checked bag.
You can book Miami to St. Thomas for $173 economy roundtrip on American in October and March.
Keep in mind that you do not need a passport to travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands and it is open for and welcoming tourists. You will need to submit a negative COVID-19 test result through the USVI travel portal.
You do not need to take a test for your return flight.
Maximize your purchase
The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
Featured image by Pola Damonte for Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.