Deal Alert: US Cities to Europe for $270 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights from the East Coast to multiple destinations throughout Europe are now available for just $270 round-trip. Popular European cities such as Dublin, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, and Rome are included in this deal. Flights at this price are available throughout January and February 2020 with a select few routes available at or near these prices in early December 2019. All flights are operated by TAP Portugal, a Star Alliance member, which means United and Air Canada frequent flyers can earn miles for these flights.
All fares included in this deal allow passengers to bring both a carry-on bag and personal item onboard. Checked bags and advanced seat assignments are available for purchase.
Though Europe is not known for winter tourism, there are a few warmer cities included in this deal including Porto, Barcelona and Madrid. The off-season is also the perfect time for travelers looking to avoid hoards of tourists visiting popular attractions throughout Europe.
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: TAP Portugal
Routes: BOS/EWR/JFK to BCN/DUB/CPH/FCO/LUX/MAD/OPO/ORY/OSL
Cost: $270+ round-trip
Dates: select dates January – March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel).
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Porto, Portugal (OPO) for $270 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Cheap-O-Air:
Newark (EWR) to Paris (ORY) for $275 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Priceline:
Boston (BOS) to Dublin (DUB) for $290 round-trip via TAP Portugal:
Boston (BOS) to Luxembourg (LUX) for $312 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Orbitz:
New York (JFK) to Rome (FCO) for $329 round-trip on TAP Portugal via Priceline on Google Flights:
Google Flights Sample Availability for New York to Porto, Portugal for $270 R/T:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card, American Express® Gold Card, (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image of Porto, Portugal by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.