Deal alert: Southwest Airlines is offering 40% off fall fares for 3 days only
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve been feeling the squeeze of summer’s skyrocketing airfares, Southwest Airlines has some good news to share. For three days, starting Tuesday and ending Thursday, you can save 40% off qualifying base fares for late summer and fall travel by using the promotion code Fall40.
Although this is touted as a fall sale, travel dates start Aug. 16, so you’ll be able to take advantage of these discounted prices for a late summer getaway, too. This applies to travel up until almost Thanksgiving, as the last date for travel is Nov. 5.
Sale fares are available across all classes of Southwest fares: Business Select, Anytime, Wanna Get Away and Wanna Get Away Plus, the newest category.
A few notes before you start clicking: We did notice that this promotion works best with domestic flights. As with any discounted fare, don’t wait too long before you book, as availability for popular routes out of major cities will go fast.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Southwest Airlines.
Routes: Select continental U.S destinations; continental U.S. to/from Hawaii and San Juan, Puerto Rico; and international flights.
How to book: Directly through the airline at the Southwest website, between June 7 and June 9.
Travel dates: Aug. 16 through Nov. 5.
Book by: 11:59 p.m. CT on June 9.
Although not every routing we tried worked, this trip to Fort Myers, Florida, from New York City hit the sweet spot for the Fall40 savings. Fares come in at just $72 each way.
In October, we found a quick trip to Puerto Rico from Fort Lauderdale for a low of $84 each way.
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5 points per dollar on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3 points per dollar on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2 points per dollar on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Since this summer travel season has seen ever-rising airfare, a fall plan might be easier on the wallet. Shift travel plans to late August through November, and you could save hundreds with Southwest’s 40% off sale.
Featured photo by Onne van der Wal/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees