This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While many travelers prefer the speed of flight, there’s quite a few routes in the US where taking the train beats flying for convenience. Plus, when you’re not in a hurry to get somewhere, there’s something romantic about the experience of riding the rails. Amtrak wants to give you and a friend or family member an extra reason to consider taking the train over the alternative: 50% off a companion ticket.
Now through Thursday, you can use promo code C234 to “buy one, get one 50% off” on a number of Amtrak of routes for travel between February 5 and April 17. And there are no blackout dates, which makes this deal a possibility for a Valentine’s Day getaway, spring break trip or any other trip you might have already been considering.
Unfortunately for those looking to save on Amtrak’s (relatively) high-speed trains, this promo code can’t be applied on the Acela Express. Also, you can’t split these tickets over different dates or times; the terms require that the companion must travel with the full fare passenger.
Routes: Northeast Regional, Keystone, Pennsylvanian, Vermonter, Cardinal, Carolinian, Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Palmetto.
Cost: From $24 one-way for two passengers
Book by: January 10
Travel Dates: February 5 – April 17
Restrictions: Not combinable with any other discount offer. No upgrades permitted. Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable. Exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period; a 25 percent cancellation fee applies.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Citi Premier Card (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Boston, MA to Providence, RI for $24 one-way for two adults:
Washington DC to Charlottesville, VA for $56 one-way for two adults:
Washington DC to Richmond, VA for $57 one-way for two adults:
New York Penn Station to Philadelphia, PA for $90 one-way for two adults:
Boston, MA to New York Penn Station for $122 one-way for two adults:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier Card (3x on travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
This is one of the top premium cards out there since you earn 3x on all travel (excluding $300 travel credit) and dining and have access to great perks like a $300 travel credit each cardmember year, 50% more value when you redeem points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards and you get elite travel benefits like Global Entry application fee rebate, Priority Pass Select and special rental car privileges.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named "Best Premium Travel Credit Card" for 2018 by MONEY® Magazine
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®