Deal Alert: Save 50% Off a Companion Ticket Through Amtrak’s Latest Flash Sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While many travelers prefer the speed of flight, there’s quite a few routes in the US where taking the train beats flying for convenience. Plus, when you’re not in a hurry to get somewhere, there’s something romantic about the experience of riding the rails. Amtrak wants to give you and a friend or family member an extra reason to consider taking the train over the alternative: 50% off a companion ticket.
Now through Thursday, you can use promo code C234 to “buy one, get one 50% off” on a number of Amtrak of routes for travel between February 5 and April 17. And there are no blackout dates, which makes this deal a possibility for a Valentine’s Day getaway, spring break trip or any other trip you might have already been considering.
Unfortunately for those looking to save on Amtrak’s (relatively) high-speed trains, this promo code can’t be applied on the Acela Express. Also, you can’t split these tickets over different dates or times; the terms require that the companion must travel with the full fare passenger.
Routes: Northeast Regional, Keystone, Pennsylvanian, Vermonter, Cardinal, Carolinian, Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Palmetto.
Cost: From $24 one-way for two passengers
Book by: January 10
Travel Dates: February 5 – April 17
Restrictions: Not combinable with any other discount offer. No upgrades permitted. Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable. Exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period; a 25 percent cancellation fee applies.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Boston, MA to Providence, RI for $24 one-way for two adults:
Washington DC to Charlottesville, VA for $56 one-way for two adults:
Washington DC to Richmond, VA for $57 one-way for two adults:
New York Penn Station to Philadelphia, PA for $90 one-way for two adults:
Boston, MA to New York Penn Station for $122 one-way for two adults:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (3x on all travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more