Deal Alert: Puerto Rico from $96 round-trip on major airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights to the island of Puerto Rico just dropped as low as $96 round-trip. And, some of the flights are nonstop.
Scott’s Cheap Flights found availability from many U.S. cities to San Juan (SJU), Aguadilla (BQN) and Ponce (PSE). The best deals are from East Coast cities, but prices are lower than usual from all across the U.S.
The rates and availability vary by route, but you’ll generally find the best rates and availability between March and May. Some routes also have availability from August through November.
The only drawback is that most of the lowest fares are in basic economy. Basic economy means different things to different airlines, but you may not have free use of the overhead bins for a carry-on bag, you probably won’t be able to select your seat and you’ll generally board in the last group. However, it’s possible to defeat many of basic economy’s negative aspects by having elite status or a co-branded credit card.
To find a deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. You may need to limit your search to specific airlines, as Frontier and Spirit also offer low rates on some of these routes. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Routes: JFK/MIA/ATL/CLT/ORD/MCO/TPA and many more to SJU/BQN/PSE
Cost: From $96 round-trip
Dates: Varies, but generally March to May 2020 with availability on some routes August to November
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Related reading: The best credit cards with travel insurance
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available:
New York (JFK) to San Juan (SJU) for $96 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Tampa (TPA) to San Juan (SJU) for $104 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Miami (MIA) to San Juan (SJU) for $122 round-trip nonstop on American:
Atlanta (ATL) to San Juan (SJU) for $128 round-trip nonstop on Delta:
Orlando (MCO) to San Juan (SJU) for $128 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Boston (BOS) to San Juan (SJU) for $178 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Chicago (ORD) to San Juan (SJU) for $218 round-trip nonstop on American:
- A beginner’s guide to visiting Puerto Rico: Everything you need to eat, see and do
- 8 things that make Puerto Rico the place to visit right now
- These spots in Puerto Rico are spring-break ready
- No passport required: Tips for visiting Puerto Rico on a family vacation
- Your points and miles guide to Puerto Rico
- How to visit Puerto Rico with points and miles
Featured photo of the St. Regis Bahia Beach by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.