Deal Alert: Puerto Rico from $96 round-trip on major airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Flights to the island of Puerto Rico just dropped as low as $96 round-trip. And, some of the flights are nonstop.
Scott’s Cheap Flights found availability from many U.S. cities to San Juan (SJU), Aguadilla (BQN) and Ponce (PSE). The best deals are from East Coast cities, but prices are lower than usual from all across the U.S.
The rates and availability vary by route, but you’ll generally find the best rates and availability between March and May. Some routes also have availability from August through November.
The only drawback is that most of the lowest fares are in basic economy. Basic economy means different things to different airlines, but you may not have free use of the overhead bins for a carry-on bag, you probably won’t be able to select your seat and you’ll generally board in the last group. However, it’s possible to defeat many of basic economy’s negative aspects by having elite status or a co-branded credit card.
To find a deal, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. You may need to limit your search to specific airlines, as Frontier and Spirit also offer low rates on some of these routes. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or an OTA like Orbitz or Expedia.
Airline: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Routes: JFK/MIA/ATL/CLT/ORD/MCO/TPA and many more to SJU/BQN/PSE
Cost: From $96 round-trip
Dates: Varies, but generally March to May 2020 with availability on some routes August to November
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Related reading: The best credit cards with travel insurance
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available:
New York (JFK) to San Juan (SJU) for $96 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Tampa (TPA) to San Juan (SJU) for $104 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Miami (MIA) to San Juan (SJU) for $122 round-trip nonstop on American:
Atlanta (ATL) to San Juan (SJU) for $128 round-trip nonstop on Delta:
Orlando (MCO) to San Juan (SJU) for $128 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Boston (BOS) to San Juan (SJU) for $178 round-trip nonstop on JetBlue:
Chicago (ORD) to San Juan (SJU) for $218 round-trip nonstop on American:
- A beginner’s guide to visiting Puerto Rico: Everything you need to eat, see and do
- 8 things that make Puerto Rico the place to visit right now
- These spots in Puerto Rico are spring-break ready
- No passport required: Tips for visiting Puerto Rico on a family vacation
- Your points and miles guide to Puerto Rico
- How to visit Puerto Rico with points and miles
Featured photo of the St. Regis Bahia Beach by Nick Ellis/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees