Deal Alert: More Cheap Flights to Italy From $236 Round-Trip in Basic Economy, $320 in Main Cabin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We’ve been seeing great deals to Italy in the last few days and it looks like the sale isn’t over yet. Today we’re seeing low fares being offered to more cities and by more airlines than before. With this deal, you can book flights to Rome (FCO), Florence (FLR), Milan (MXP), Naples (NAP) and Venice (VCE) from just $236 round-trip in basic economy or $320 in standard economy. The deal is even sweeter if you have a Chase Sapphire Reserve as you can book through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal and book these flights from just 15,700 points.
Both types of tickets include free meals and drinks, though you’ll typically have to pay to check a bag and select a seat if you book basic economy. Keep in mind that you can combat some of the negative aspects of basic economy by using your airline elite status or one of the best credit cards for airline miles.
To search for these fares, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline, through an OTA like Priceline or plug those dates into the Ultimate Rewards travel portal.
Airlines: American, Air Canada, Air Italy, British Airways, Iberia, TAP Portugal
Routes: BOS/LAX/LGA/JFK/MIA to FCO/FLR/MXP/NAP/VCE
Cost: $236+ or 15,700+ Ultimate Rewards points round-trip in basic economy
Travel Dates: September 2019 to March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $236 or 15,700 points round-trip in American basic economy:
New York (LGA) to Rome (FCO) for $312 round-trip in Air Canada basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) for $320 round-trip in American main cabin:
Boston (BOS) to Milan (MXP) for $326 round-trip in American main cabin:
Boston (BOS) to Venice (VCE) for $334 round-trip in Iberia main cabin:
New York (JFK) to Florence (FLR) for $346 round-trip in TAP Portugal basic economy:
New York (JFK) to Venice (VCE) for $393 round-trip in TAP Portugal basic economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Rory McDonald / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.