Deal alert: Book a one-way Hertz car rental from $10/day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Through Feb. 16, 2021, customers can book a one-way rental between one and 10 days starting at just $10 per day, plus taxes and fees.
You’ll definitely want to put some serious thought into this offer before you pull the trigger — while driving in your own vehicle may be “safe,” an extended trip will require many restaurant (or takeout) meals, hotel stays and gas stops along the way. All of those expenses add significant cost to your trip, too.
Officially, pick-up cities include Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego, Sacramento, San Francisco, Oakland, Fresno, Seattle and Portland, plus surrounding areas, with drop-offs in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas or Washington, D.C.
10 days may be very tight for some of these city pairings — Las Vegas to Dallas could be doable, sure, but anyone looking to “maximize” this offer (which includes unlimited miles) with a drive from Seattle to Miami will need to be prepared to drive at least 330 miles every day, which means more than five hours behind the wheel, before factoring in stops.
Interestingly, there does appear to be a bit of flexibility when it comes to your drop-off city. I was able to get the same discounted rate in every Northeast city I tried, from Baltimore, Maryland to Portland, Maine.
Note, however, that Hertz’s 10-day limit is entirely inflexible — adding just one day makes the offer invalid, with the entire rental pricing at the standard rate. If you anticipate needing to adjust your rental, I’d add in extra days at booking, just to be extra safe.
Of course, the biggest challenge is that COVID-19 is currently raging across the entire United States, with the highest number of cases (and deaths) that we’ve seen at any point during the pandemic. This promotion is only valid for pick-ups through Feb. 16, and case numbers are likely to be at least as much of a concern by then.
If you need to make your way from the West Coast to one of the covered destinations, and feel safer driving than traveling by plane, this could be a cost-effective option. Personally, I won’t be taking advantage of this offer for a mid-winter road trip, though — at least not before it’s my turn to get the vaccine.
If you do decide to take advantage, be sure to add Hertz elite status to your account — it’ll be your best shot at scoring an upgrade, and you might be eligible via a credit card or Delta or United elite status. And, as always, be sure to pay with a card that offers car rental coverage, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.