Deal alert: Book a one-way Hertz car rental from $10/day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Through Feb. 16, 2021, customers can book a one-way rental between one and 10 days starting at just $10 per day, plus taxes and fees.
You’ll definitely want to put some serious thought into this offer before you pull the trigger — while driving in your own vehicle may be “safe,” an extended trip will require many restaurant (or takeout) meals, hotel stays and gas stops along the way. All of those expenses add significant cost to your trip, too.
Officially, pick-up cities include Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego, Sacramento, San Francisco, Oakland, Fresno, Seattle and Portland, plus surrounding areas, with drop-offs in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas or Washington, D.C.
10 days may be very tight for some of these city pairings — Las Vegas to Dallas could be doable, sure, but anyone looking to “maximize” this offer (which includes unlimited miles) with a drive from Seattle to Miami will need to be prepared to drive at least 330 miles every day, which means more than five hours behind the wheel, before factoring in stops.
Interestingly, there does appear to be a bit of flexibility when it comes to your drop-off city. I was able to get the same discounted rate in every Northeast city I tried, from Baltimore, Maryland to Portland, Maine.
Note, however, that Hertz’s 10-day limit is entirely inflexible — adding just one day makes the offer invalid, with the entire rental pricing at the standard rate. If you anticipate needing to adjust your rental, I’d add in extra days at booking, just to be extra safe.
Of course, the biggest challenge is that COVID-19 is currently raging across the entire United States, with the highest number of cases (and deaths) that we’ve seen at any point during the pandemic. This promotion is only valid for pick-ups through Feb. 16, and case numbers are likely to be at least as much of a concern by then.
If you need to make your way from the West Coast to one of the covered destinations, and feel safer driving than traveling by plane, this could be a cost-effective option. Personally, I won’t be taking advantage of this offer for a mid-winter road trip, though — at least not before it’s my turn to get the vaccine.
If you do decide to take advantage, be sure to add Hertz elite status to your account — it’ll be your best shot at scoring an upgrade, and you might be eligible via a credit card or Delta or United elite status. And, as always, be sure to pay with a card that offers car rental coverage, such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees