Deal alert: Nonstop flights to Berlin from LA and NYC starting at $119 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Budget startup Norse Atlantic Airways made news recently when it announced its long-haul service between Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) and New York City’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) would debut with introductory one-way fares as low as $120. But these are not the only discounted fares available to Germany’s ultra-cool capital city at the moment; other airlines have marked-down tickets to Germany from various U.S. departure cities that include Baltimore, Boston and Newark.
This fare sale involves economy tickets, so you’ll often have to pay for checked luggage. It’s helpful to know airlines’ baggage policies before booking. The sub-$200 one-way fares on Norse Atlantic begin in August. The other discount fares in this deal are for travel between November and April.
As we always say, being flexible with your travel plans will help you score the best possible deal. That’s even more true these days with airfare being so expensive.
Want more TPG news delivered every morning to your inbox? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Thanks to Scott’s Cheap Flights for first alerting us to this deal. Its Premium membership is available for $49 per year. The Elite tier option is available for $199 per year, and it offers access to deals on premium economy, business- and first-class tickets. The more flexible you can be with your travel plans, the better price you’ll find.
Airlines: Delta, KLM, Norse Atlantic, Play and TAP Air Portugal.
Routes: Baltimore, Boston, Los Angeles, Newark and New York City to Berlin.
How to book: Search Google Flights and book directly through the airline.
Travel dates: From August through April.
The sale fares on Norse Atlantic are not on Google Flights yet. You have to go to the carrier’s website to book these. But we found lots of availability for flights as low as $119 one-way to New York City’s JFK Airport. The lowest prices are for Norse’s Economy Light, its most basic tier. That fare doesn’t include a free carry-on, so you may want to consider bumping up to Economy Classic, which is still a nice price at $209.
We also found good prices on flights in January from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) to Berlin on TAP Air Portugal for only $368 round-trip. This includes a layover in Lisbon, Portugal, but you do get a free carry-on bag with this fare. FYI, we found much more availability and better prices out of Newark to Berlin than we saw for flights out of JFK.
We found round-trip fares to Berlin from Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) in the fall for under $500. Keep in mind this is on Play Airlines, which means you have to pay for a carry-on. So you have to factor that extra cost into your travel plans.
If you really want to save big on a trip to Germany and you live in Los Angeles, you should check out Norse Atlantic’s fall fares. We found lots of availability out of LAX to Berlin at the introductory $137 one-way price. Even with paying to check a bag, it’s a great price to pay for a nonstop to Germany.
Maximize your purchase
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5 points per dollar on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3 points per dollar on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2 points per dollar on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo by fhm/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees