Deal Alert: Award Flights to Mexico From 12,000 Miles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Delta continues to impress us with one award sale after another. Currently, you can book flights to Australia from 48,000 SkyMiles round-trip in economy and flights to South Korea for 50,000 miles in economy or 70,000 SkyMiles round-trip in premium economy. And today, we are seeing deals to Mexican destinations of Mexico City, Los Cabos and Cancun starting at just 12,000 SkyMiles round-trip.
At current TPG valuations, 12,000 SkyMiles are worth just $144. Adding in taxes and fees starting at $99 and this is similar to scoring a $243 round-trip deal. For reference, American Airlines and United award flights to Mexico start at no fewer than 30,000 miles round-trip.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: LAX/JFK/MIA/BOS/ATL to SJD/MEX/CUN/GDL
Cost: From 12,000 miles plus taxes/fees starting at $99 round-trip. One-way flights are pricing at half of the round-trip price.
Travel Dates: September-November
Purchase By: September 12
Restrictions: Terms note that a Friday night stay is required, but this restriction isn’t being applied in practice.
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Mexico City (MEX) for 12,000 miles + $106 round-trip nonstop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Los Cabos, Mexico (SJD) for 12,000 miles + $99 round-trip nonstop:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Mexico City (MEX) for 14,000 SkyMiles + $106 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Cancun (CUN) for 14,000 miles + $81 round-trip nonstop:
Miami (MIA) to Mexico City (MEX) for 14,000 miles + $111 round-trip:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Cancun (CUN) for 16,000 miles + $81 round-trip nonstop:
Boston (BOS) to Cancun (CUN) for 18,000 SkyMiles + $86 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Atlanta (ATL) to Cancun (CUN) for 20,000 SkyMiles + $81 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Atlanta (ATL) to Guadalajara, Mexico (GDL) for 20,000 SkyMiles + $99 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
Featured image by Federico Scotto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees