This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Between now and 11:59pm PT Thursday night, May 24, you can book one-way award flights on Alaska Airlines for as few as 5,000 Mileage Plan miles, plus taxes and fees.
The promotion is valid for nonrefundable domestic travel booked 21 or more days prior to the departure time, and completed between September 5 through November 7, 2018. Furthermore, the deal is only valid for flights marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by Alaska Airlines, Virgin America, Horizon Air, SkyWest or PenAir.
Airline: Alaska Airlines
Routes: LAX to SFO
Cost: 5,000+ Mileage Plan miles one-way in economy, plus taxes and fees starting at $6
Dates: September – November 2018
Booking Link: Directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to San Francisco (SFO) for 10,000 miles + $12 in taxes and fees round-trip in September:
Portland (PDX) to Anchorage (ANC) for 18,000 miles + $12 in taxes and fees round-trip in October:
San Francisco (SFO) to Washington DC (IAD) for 25,000 miles + $12 in taxes and fees round-trip in October:
Seattle (SEA) to Kauai (LIH) for 30,000 miles + $12 in taxes and fees round-trip in October:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards