Deal Alert: 2-For-1 Flights to Qatar and Africa or Southeast Asia From $674 R/T
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights from multiple cities across the US to Doha, Johannesburg, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, and Maputo, Mozambique, are available from just $304 one-way or $674 round-trip. The following deals are 2-for-1 flight deals. All itineraries must include a stopover in Doha, while travelers are free to choose the second city in their itinerary. This deal was originally reported by Secret Flying as a one-way deal, however, it appears that most if not all one-way deals are available as round-trip itineraries as well.
For example, you can travel from Chicago to Bangkok round-trip with a 3-day stopover in Doha for just $719 in September. All flights are nonstops on Qatar Airways. Deals are only available from US cities served by Qatar Airways. Cheap flights are available beginning in September with limited availability throughout October.
Airline: Qatar Airways
Routes: BOS/DFW/IAD/JFK/LAX/MIA/ORD/PHL to DOH and BKK/JNB/KUL/MPM
Cost: $330+ one-way, $674+ round-trip
Travel Dates: September — October 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Doha (DOH) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $674 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Priceline:
Philadelphia (PHL) to Doha (DOH) to Bangkok (BKK) for $687 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Doha (DOH) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $695 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Orbitz:
Boston (BOS) to Doha (DOH) to Maputo (MPM) for $752 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Priceline:
Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) to Doha (DOH) to Bangkok (BKK) for $747 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Priceline:
Miami (MIA) to Doha (DOH) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $799 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Priceline:
New York City (JFK) to Doha (DOH) to Johannesburg (JNB) for $809 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Orbitz:
Chicago (ORD) to Doha (DOH) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $820 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Priceline:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Doha (DOH) to Bangkok (BKK) for $836 round-trip nonstop on Qatar Airways via Orbitz:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Matteo Colombo/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.