Deal alert: California dreaming for less than $200
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There is no bad time to visit Los Angeles. Between the typically amazing weather and a cornucopia of things to do, the City of Angels is an evergreen travel destination. I go often for work and for leisure, and never have trouble finding something new to enjoy.
Of course, L.A. isn’t cheap (what big American city is?) so when you can save some money on your airfare, you have to jump at the opportunity. There are discounted fares available from dozens of cities across the U.S. that could get you to Los Angeles this winter for as little as $56. Even better, most of these sale fares are nonstop.
The majority of available flights at the lower rates are for Basic Economy on Alaska Air and Delta, but American and United tickets are Main Cabin fares, which offer more flexibility.
This fare sale is for travel between December 2021 and October 2022. As is normally the case with deals like this, availability varies widely depending on your departure city and when you want to travel.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter
Thanks to the great team at Thrifty Traveler Premium for alerting us about this deal, which they first sent out to their subscribers.
Non-members can still score a discounted ticket by using Google Flights to search for desired routes and dates. As always, a little flexibility in your travel plans goes a long way toward saving some cash.
Airlines: Alaska Air, American, Delta, United
Routes: ABQ/AUS/BOI/BOS/DAL/FLL/IAH/IND/JFK/MCO/MIA/MSP/ORD/PHL/SFO/SJC and others to LAX.
Cost: From $56 round-trip
Dates: December — October 2022; availability varies
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Let’s start with a rock-bottom fare we found from San Jose (SJC) to LA on Alaska Air in February for just $57 round-trip. That is a deeply discounted price for that route, and it’s a Main Cabin seat with a carry-on and seat assignment. The cheapest seats and widest availability I saw for this route was for travel in February 2022.
There are quite a few reduced-price fares from San Francisco (SFO) to Los Angeles on Delta, too. For example, there are $77 roundtrip tickets available throughout January 2022.
For just two dollars more, you can book a Basic Economy ticket from SFO — LAX in March. This is Delta’s stripped-down tier, which means no seat selection and no free changes, but you do get a carry-on. And considering this is almost 50% off what this ticket would usually cost, you would probably be okay with it.
If you live on the East Coast, you can also take part in this deal.
New Yorkers looking for a break from typically freezing January temperatures can book a Delta ticket out of JFK that will cost just $137 roundtrip, a savings of more than 50% from normal prices.
Miami to Los Angeles is another heavily discounted fare we came across. American has nonstop tickets for just $135 roundtrip in January, and it’s a Main Cabin seat which comes with seat selection, free changes and a carry-on.
We’ll wrap it up with one more steal of a deal. If you live in Indianapolis, it will cost you just $137 for a nonstop round-trip ticket to Los Angeles in late January. In fact, this route at this price point via Delta was available when we checked for much of January. This ticket usually sells for around $300!
With California having fully reopened for tourism during the summer, this could be the perfect time to book that trip to L.A. you’ve been dreaming about.
Featured image by 4kodiak for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees