South America deal alert: Avianca sale with sub-$200 fares to Chile, Colombia + more
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re been thinking about a trip to South America, Avianca’s latest flash sale is just the ticket to get you to stop thinking, and start booking. The airline, a United Airlines partner, has a slew of destinations marked down for travel over the next several months. Departure cities include New York City, Miami, Orlando, Los Angeles, and Washington D.C., with some available fares as low as $122!
Some of the fares we saw included unusually low prices to places such as Bolivia, Chile, and Uruguay. No matter where your travels take you, the history, natural beauty and culinary delights you’ll find in South America will make for an unforgettable trip. And unlike many other deals, we found great prices across a wide range of time, with some of the best deals available in the fall.
Want your TPG news delivered straight to your inbox each morning? Sign up for our daily newsletter
The good folks at Thrifty Traveler tipped us off to this great deal, which they first sent out to their premium subscribers. Their premium service is available for $7.99 monthly or $49.99 annually. This membership fee can easily pay for itself since you’ll get notified of cheap flights, award flight sales and business-class deals straight to your email.
Non-members can find sale prices by using Google Flights to search for desired routes and dates.
These fares are for Basic travel (S) on Avianca. That comes with a carry-on but no seat assignment. Upgrades that include a checked bag and seat assignment start at $60.
Airlines: Avianca (United Airlines partner)
Routes: IAD/JFK/LAX/MCO/MIA/ to Bogota (BOG), Guatemala City (GUA), Santiago (SCL) and others
Cost: Flights available from $122; some nonstop routes available
Dates: Now-November 2022; availability varies by city.
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
If you want to scratch Machu Picchu off your bucket list, you can do it now. We found flights to Lima, Peru (LIM) departing from NYC (JFK) in May for $334 round-trip. May is actually one of the best times to visit the legendary Incan citadel, since it comes after the heaviest rains fall in Peru.
We also found a fare from Los Angeles (LAX) to Lima in May that was only $437, almost 50% cheaper than normal.
LA to Guatemala City (GUA) can be booked for only $159, nonstop for an end-of-summer trip in August.
Orlando (MCO) to Quito, Ecuador (UIO) has a lot of availability in the spring for less than $400 round-trip. This itinerary in March is just about the lowest price we found.
Miami (MIA) to Bogota, Colombia (BOG) is steeply discounted in April. Avianca has nonstop fares to the Colombian capital for just $177.
Miami to San Salvador (SAL) can be booked for just $122 nonstop in October.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns points on airfare purchases, like The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year); the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare; the Citi Premier® Card (3x on air travel); Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel); the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel — which you could redeem for as little as 13,000 points.
Featured Image by Germán Vogel for Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees