Deal alert: Amtrak offers 35% off routes nationwide
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Amtrak just rolled out their latest sale, with discounts of 35% on nearly all routes across America in celebration of Grandparents Day. The sale runs through Sept. 9 for travel from Oct. 1 to Feb. 2, 2020.
Below are some of the rates that Amtrak is promoting on its website:
The discount will automatically be applied at check out on all valid routes, although it appears that not all departures are discounted, so you may have to search a little to find the cheapest fares.
Start your search for discounted tickets on the Amtrak website. There’s no coupon code needed to unlock the cheap fares.
Routes: Services include all routes except for the Pennsylvanian and Keystone local service between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, Capitol Corridor, Hiawatha, Pacific Surfliner, and 7000-8999 Thruways.
Cost: From $16 one-way
Book by: Sept. 9, 2019
Travel Dates: Oct. 1 through Feb. 2, 2020
Restrictions: Prices can’t be combined with other discount codes. Upgrades to Business Class are not permitted, and this offer is only valid for Acela Business class and coach seats. Space is limited as sale prices are not available on all trains or at all times. Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable. Exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period; a 25% cancellation fee applies. Other restrictions may also apply.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), Citi Premier℠ Card (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Jackson, MS to New Orleans, LA for $16 one-way:
San Diego, CA to Los Angeles, CA for $36 one-way:
Washington D.C. to New York, NY for $39 one-way:
Boston, MA to Washington D.C. to for $73 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on all travel purchases), Citi Premier℠ Card (3x on travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.