Amex Platinum cardholders: You might have $200 in travel credit to use by Dec. 31
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Public service announcement: Some Amex customers holding The Platinum Card® from American Express have an extra up to $200 travel statement credit that others do not. Are you one of the lucky cardmembers?
Amex has recently added $900+ in new annual statement credits to the Amex Platinum. The aforementioned $200 travel credit is not one of them — it’s only valid through Dec. 31, 2021, so it’s important to know if you’re one who qualifies.
For more TPG news delivered to your inbox each morning, sign up for our daily newsletter.
$200 travel credit for select Amex Platinum cardmembers
You’ve probably already heard about the massive Amex Platinum 2021 refresh, which debuted earlier this month. The card now comes with more travel-unrelated “lifestyle” benefits, such as up to $240 per calendar year in digital entertainment statement credits and up to $300 per calendar year in Equinox statement credits (enrollment required for some benefits). The card also received a couple of travel improvements, such as an up to $200 prepaid hotel statement credit when booking through the Amex Travel portal. The card has a $695 annual fee (see rates & fees).
However, Amex also doled out an up to $200 “travel” credit as a gimmick to keep Amex Platinum cardholders from canceling during the coronavirus pandemic. This perk is completely unrelated to the new hotel credit above. In short, this travel credit is available targeted to cardholders of the personal Amex Platinum who renewed their card between April 2020 and March 2021. It’s your reward for continuing to pay top dollar for a premium travel card during the least travel-conducive year in history. You can use the credit for airfare, hotels, rental cars and cruises.
If you qualify, you could combine this credit with your new up to $200 prepaid hotel statement credit for a total of $400 in reimbursed hotel stays this year. Pair that with the exclusive Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit, which provides VIP hotel perks like up to $100+ in property credits, free breakfast, room upgrades (when available) and guaranteed late checkout, and you could potentially parlay that savings into $700+, easy. To better understand, check out TPG editor Summer’s recent post about how she used Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts to save hundreds on a stay in Las Vegas.
In the past year, American Express has taken drastic measures to retain cardmembers, adding temporary wireless, streaming and dining credits to some cards. One major addition for Amex Platinum cardholders who renewed their membership between April 2020 and March 2021 is a bonus up to $200 “travel statement credit,” which can be redeemed through the Amex Travel portal. This expires Dec. 31, 2021. It is not the same thing as the up to $200 prepaid hotel credit that was added earlier this month.
Again, new applicants aren’t eligible for this particular credit — they’ll have to settle for the remaining $1,400+ in annual credits this card provides, a slew of ridiculously premium benefits, and an elevated 100,000-point bonus after spending $6,000 on the card within the first six months of account opening. Read our Amex Platinum review to see if the card fits your travel goals.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Featured photo courtesy of The Savoy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees