Amazing deal alert: Flights to Europe from 16,000 miles round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Well, this is one way to kick off a weekend! Delta just dropped award prices on flights to Europe to as low as 16,000 SkyMiles round-trip. We are seeing flights from a couple of cities to London for the headline price of just 16,000 miles round-trip and a couple of nonstop options to London for 18,000 miles round-trip. There are also deals to other destinations like Zurich and Madrid starting at 22,000 miles round-trip.
There’s also good news for secondary airports like Nashville and Cincinnati, which have options to Europe from 30,000 miles each way.
While the best options aren’t showing on Delta’s flash sale list, it’s still worth checking to see if there are any advertised deals you might want to take advantage of. Search options for yourself as the best deals aren’t advertised.
To search, plug in your origin airport atalong with one of the sale destinations mentioned below. We recommend using Delta’s “Flexible Dates” calendar, and making sure to check “shop with miles” when looking at search results.
TPG values each SkyMile at 1.2 cents, so 16,000 miles represents a cash equivalent of $192. If you’re in need of SkyMiles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points to Delta at a 1:1 ratio.
Routes: Numerous U.S. cities (including SFO/LAX/BOS/JFK/SEA/BNA/CVG/LGA) to Europe (including LHR/MAD/ZRH/LIS/ZRH/STR/MUC/FRA)
Cost: 16,000+ SkyMiles round-trip in Main Cabin (economy) plus taxes and fees
Travel Dates: Nov. 2019 – May 2020
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige®Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or amextravel.com) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to London (LHR) for 16,000 miles + $189 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Los Angeles (LAX) to London (LHR) for 16,000 miles + $189 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Madrid (MAD) for 22,000 miles + $51 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop in economy:
New York Kennedy (JFK) to Zurich (ZRH) for 22,000 miles + $58 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop in economy:
Seattle (SEA) to London (LHR) for 26,000 miles + $189 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Boston (BOS) to Lisbon (LIS) for 30,000 miles + $54 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Nashville (BNA) to Lisbon (LIS) for 30,000 miles + $59 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Cincinnati (CVG) to Zurich (ZRH) for 30,000 miles + $81 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Stuttgart, Germany (STR) for 30,000 miles + $97 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Seattle (SEA) to Munich, Germany (MUR) for 30,000 miles + $109 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Boston (BOS) to Munich (MUC) for 30,000 miles + $116 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Frankfurt (FRA) — returning to New York Kennedy (JFK) — for 30,000 miles + $117 in taxes and fees round-trip in economy:
Boosting your SkyMiles balance
There are a variety of ways to earn Delta miles — from Delta-operated flights to trips on SkyTeam airlines to various non-travel partners. However, one of the best ways to boost your SkyMiles balance to score a few free trips is by adding one of these cards to your arsenal:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express ($550 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); 75,000-point welcome bonus after you use your new card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first six months, though be sure to check the CardMatch Tool to see if you’re targeted for a 100,000-point welcome bonus after spending $5,000 in the first three months (offer subject to change at any time). You can transfer Membership Rewards points directly to Delta SkyMiles. Terms Apply.
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express ($595 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn up to 75,000 bonus points: 50,000 bonus points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 bonus points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms Apply.
- Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card ($450 annual fee; $550 if application is received on or after 1/30/2020; See Rates & Fees); Earn 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) and 40,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first three months. Terms Apply.
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express ($95 annual fee; See Rates & Fees); Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Amex Business Platinum Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Delta Reserve Business Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Gold Delta SkyMiles Card, click here.
Featured photo by Daniel Lange via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.