Deal alert: Alaska Airlines fare sale from $25, $99 transcontinental
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We recommend using The Platinum Card® from American Express, and book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away.
Alaska Airlines is offering a great deal on many U.S. flights right now, and there are very flexible sigchange and cancellation policies. The “March-forward” sale is for flights booked by March 16 for travel March 25 to June 10, 2020. Among the deals? You can fly one-way Los Angeles (LAX) to Baltimore (BWI) for $114, Oakland (OAK) to Honolulu (HNL) for $129, New York (EWR) to Los Angeles for $109, and Seattle (SEA) to Oakland for $69. And those prices are for the main cabin with few restrictions.
The best part? Right now, Alaska is offering bonus elite-qualifying miles through mid-April so some of these flights could help you get to top tier status on Alaska. If you take advantage of these flights or not, you might as well register for this promotion to accelerate your progress toward MVP elite status with the airline.
If you are willing to forgo some of the benefits of main cabin fares, you can fly in Alaska’s version of basic economy for even less. A flight from Los Angeles to Dallas-Love Field (DAL) is just $69 one-way, and San Francisco (SFO) to Orange County (SNA) for as low as $25 for Alaska’s “Saver Fares.”
We found transcontinental flights from $99 one-way including New York to Seattle and New York to San Francisco.
And keep in mind, Alaska Airlines version of basic economy fares is the most generous you’ll find. You’ll still get some elite earning ability and earn some miles.
Airline: Alaska Airlines
Routes: Between BWI/DAL/SAN/LAX/OAK/SJU/PHX/JFK/HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH/AUS/EWR/SEA and more
Cost: From $25 one-way
Dates: Book by March 16 for travel until June 10; discounted rates may extend beyond advertised dates.
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel ), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
And Alaska Airlines is also waiving change and cancellation fees for travel booked on or before Feb. 26 and on new tickets purchased between Feb. 27 and March 31 of this year.
We first found this deal on PointsMilesandMartinis.com.
The bonus elite-qualifying miles will apply to tickets booked using the Companion Fare benefit on the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card from Bank of America.
If you don’t currently have the card in your wallet, now’s a great time to apply, as it’s offering an enhanced welcome bonus of 50,000 miles and the Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) after spending $2,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy
Katherine Fan and Nick Ewen contributed to this post.
Updated on 9/08/21
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees