Deal alert: Alaska Airlines fare sale from $25, $99 transcontinental
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
We recommend using The Platinum Card® from American Express, and book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away.
Alaska Airlines is offering a great deal on many U.S. flights right now, and there are very flexible sigchange and cancellation policies. The “March-forward” sale is for flights booked by March 16 for travel March 25 to June 10, 2020. Among the deals? You can fly one-way Los Angeles (LAX) to Baltimore (BWI) for $114, Oakland (OAK) to Honolulu (HNL) for $129, New York (EWR) to Los Angeles for $109, and Seattle (SEA) to Oakland for $69. And those prices are for the main cabin with few restrictions.
The best part? Right now, Alaska is offering bonus elite-qualifying miles through mid-April so some of these flights could help you get to top tier status on Alaska. If you take advantage of these flights or not, you might as well register for this promotion to accelerate your progress toward MVP elite status with the airline.
If you are willing to forgo some of the benefits of main cabin fares, you can fly in Alaska’s version of basic economy for even less. A flight from Los Angeles to Dallas-Love Field (DAL) is just $69 one-way, and San Francisco (SFO) to Orange County (SNA) for as low as $25 for Alaska’s “Saver Fares.”
We found transcontinental flights from $99 one-way including New York to Seattle and New York to San Francisco.
And keep in mind, Alaska Airlines version of basic economy fares is the most generous you’ll find. You’ll still get some elite earning ability and earn some miles.
Airline: Alaska Airlines
Routes: Between BWI/DAL/SAN/LAX/OAK/SJU/PHX/JFK/HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH/AUS/EWR/SEA and more
Cost: From $25 one-way
Dates: Book by March 16 for travel until June 10; discounted rates may extend beyond advertised dates.
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel ), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
And Alaska Airlines is also waiving change and cancellation fees for travel booked on or before Feb. 26 and on new tickets purchased between Feb. 27 and March 31 of this year.
We first found this deal on PointsMilesandMartinis.com.
The bonus elite-qualifying miles will apply to tickets booked using the Companion Fare benefit on the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card from Bank of America.
If you don’t currently have the card in your wallet, now’s a great time to apply, as it’s offering an enhanced welcome bonus of 40,000 miles, the Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $22) and a $100 statement credit after spending $2,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy
Katherine Fan and Nick Ewen contributed to this post.
Updated on 4/8/2021
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.