Deal Alert: Premium Economy Flights to Brazil From $600 or 40,000 Points Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
American Airlines is on the verge of finishing its years-long retrofit program to get premium economy on a vast majority of its international fleet. And if you haven’t gotten a chance to try it out yet, a deal just popped up that’ll let you book AA’s premium economy cabin for cheaper than flying in economy for flights between the US and Rio De Janeiro (GIG).
Back in early 2018, I flew the same AA Boeing 777-200 aircraft type that’s flying between Miami (MIA) and Rio, and I found that AA’s premium economy product was a solid offering. The hard product offers extra seat width (2-4-2 configuration vs. 3-4-3 in economy) and a half-foot more legroom than in economy.
But, it was the soft product — the service, food and amenities — where AA’s premium economy impressed. Effectively, the seat, food and service is equivalent to a good domestic first class flight.
To search, head to Priceline or Expedia.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: IAH/PBI/ORD/BWI to GIG
Cost: $600+ round-trip in premium economy
Dates: August-November and January-February
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Houston (IAH) to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) for $600 round-trip in premium economy in September:
Houston (IAH) to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) for 39,966 Ultimate Rewards points round-trip in premium economy:
Houston (IAH) to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) for $600 round-trip in premium economy in October:
West Palm Beach (PBI) to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) for $883 round-trip in premium economy:
Chicago (ORD) to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) for $1,018 round-trip in premium economy:
Baltimore (BWI) to Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) for $1,049 round-trip in premium economy:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Featured photo by Agustin Diaz / EyeEm via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees