Deal alert: Southwest fares from $49 one-way or 2,700 points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines is out with a sweet Memorial Day Weekend deal, offering flights between select cities from $49 each way or 2,700 points (plus $5.60 in taxes and fees).
The no-change-fee airline is offering a fairly widespread sale through June 10, 2021, for select travel dates between August 17 and November 5, 2021. Whether you’re bound for Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Detroit or Honolulu, there might be a deal here for you.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Routes: between BWI/DTW/FAT/LAS/BNA/MDW/ATL/SDF/SFO/LAX and more
Cost: from $49 one-way
Dates: Book by June 10, 2021, for travel between August 17 and November 5, 2021
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel ; earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on air travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of specific flights that are available from Southwest:
- As low as $49 one-way nonstop between Baltimore/Washington and Detroit
- As low as $49 one-way nonstop between Fresno and Las Vegas
- As low as $49 one-way nonstop between Nashville and Chicago (MDW)
- As low as $49 one-way nonstop between Atlanta and Louisville
- As low as $49 one-way nonstop between San Francisco and Los Angeles
The lowest prices tend to be available midweek, particularly in September and October. Some examples are below.
With new Southwest Hawaii routes available this summer, pricing is shockingly low for flights there, as well, with San Diego to Honolulu (HNL) starting at $139 and Oakland to HNL starting at $168 each way. (But be aware that Hawaii’s COVID-19 requirements could make travel cumbersome.)
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy Denver International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees