Deal alert for the new year: Fly to Hawaii for $200
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
So I know I just reported on a deal to Hawaii via Alaska Airlines a mere four days ago, but today’s deal from Scott’s Cheap Flights for roundtrip flights to Hawaii on multiple airlines in 2022 was just too good not to share.
Fly from various U.S. cities, including Seattle, Bozeman, Las Vegas and Los Angeles to Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai, Kona or Maui for fares as low as $198 for select routes, some of which are nonstop. Flights are available from January through March 2022, which just happens to be the most ideal time to escape from that post-holiday slump.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta, Hawaiian and United
Routes: SEA/BZN/LAS/LAX/PDX to HNL/KOA/OGG/LIH/ITO
Cost: Starting at $198 roundtrip for select routes.
Dates: Book for travel between January — March 2022
Pay with: The Platinum Card® from American Express for 5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Citi Prestige® Card for 5x on airfare, the Citi Premier® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x on air travel, the American Express® Gold Card for 3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card for 2x on travel.
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Some sample flights of roundtrip fares included in this deal are:
- Los Angeles (LAX) to Kauai (LIH) and Kona (KOA), starting at $198 nonstop
- Las Vegas (LSV) to Maui (OGG), starting at $216
- Portland (PDX) to Honolulu (HNL), starting at $238
- Las Vegas (LSV) to Hilo (ITO), starting at $267
- Bozeman (BZN)/Seattle (SEA) to Honolulu (HNL), starting at $276
- Seattle (SEA) to both Kauai (LIH) and Maui (OGG), starting at $276
As usual, this deal alert is for economy fares, some of which, including United, do not include full-sized carry-on bags. It generally costs $40 each way to upgrade to the main cabin (regular economy,) which would also provide guaranteed overhead bin space. Checking a bag would run you $30-$35 each way on all airlines.
The below roundtrip Hawaiian Air flight is among the cheapest in the deal and includes one carry-on and one personal item. HawaiianMiles members get discounts on checked bags on inter-island flights, so keep that in mind should you hop around the Hawaiian Islands.
Showing some love for Bozeman, this deal lets you depart from Montana to Honolulu for less than $300, a great deal when this route can normally be anywhere from $400-$1000.
This Delta flight includes a free carry-on and $60 for your first checked bag. Although it is not non-stop, the layovers are relatively short both ways.
And if you find yourself in Vegas in the new year, why not extend your trip by heading over to Maui for just $216, an incredible deal from United considering flights are normally in the $750 range.
Again, this United flight is for its basic economy class, meaning you would have to pay $80 to upgrade to economy or pay $25 to check a carry-on bag.
Booking this deal is simple, just head to Google Flights and plug in your desired departure and destination cities by using the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you and then click through to book with the airline directly to ensure you get the maximum amount of flexibility should you end up modifying your original travel plans.
As I mentioned in my latest Hawaii deal alert, Hawaii has been struggling with the rebound of tourism since reopening to visitors for the first time before the pandemic, which quickly turned into difficulty managing over-tourism. In late August, Hawaii Gov. David Ige encouraged visitors to “restrict and curtail travel to Hawaii” until at least November, saying “it’s not a good time to travel to the islands” due to rising COVID-19 numbers spurred by the delta variant.
Since this deal incorporates flights beginning in January, we at TPG urge you to consider seeking update COVID-19 data at that point to ensure the situation has continued to improve in Hawaii.
Featured image of Oahu, Hawaii by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.