Enrollment period extended: Amex giving cardmembers $50 each to spend with small businesses
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Editor's note: This post has been updated with new information.
American Express has long encouraged customers to shop with small businesses. During the 2010 recession, the issuer launched its "Small Business Saturday" campaign — each year, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, the company encourages shopping with small, local businesses. The initiative helped generate a reported $19.6 billion in spending on that one day in 2019.
Since businesses will continue to need our support more than ever following the pandemic, Amex has brought back its previous small business statement credit incentive — Amex cardmembers are eligible to receive up to a total of $50 in statement credits when shopping at small businesses. Originally, you could enroll in this offer anytime between June 29, through July 26, but Amex has just extended the enrollment period to Aug. 23, 2020.
New to The Points Guy? Sign up for our daily newsletter and join our community for small-business owners.
Here's how it works:
- Cardmembers are eligible for $5 statement credits whenever they spend $10 or more at small businesses
- Customers can earn statement credits up to 10 times, for a grand total of $50 per cardmember
- The incentive is available as an Amex Offer, which cardmembers must activate by Aug. 23
- All U.S. Amex consumer, small business, Serve and Bluebird cards are eligible
- Other prepaid cards, corporate cards and cards issued outside the U.S. are not eligible
While most Amex Offers are targeted to specific cards or cardmembers, this particular promotion will be widely available — whether you have the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card or The Platinum Card® from American Express, you should be able to take advantage.
Additional reporting by Madison Blancaflor.